performance: linux/samba vs nt vs novell

performance: linux/samba vs nt vs novell

Post by Josh Poello » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I realize this is a linux group, so most of your are probably partial to
linux, but does anyone have any hard info about performance of a linux/samba
server vs a nt server or vs a novell server.  I have not been able to find
any hard numbers about samba server performance.  (server would be an older
machine - P100, 32 or 64 megs ram)

thanks

performance: linux/samba vs nt vs novell

Post by Carl Karste » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I don't have any of the hard info you are looking for, but I have a 486-100
20Mb Linux box that out performs my PPro-200 128Mb NT4.0 server.  Yes, there
could be something wrong with my NT configuration (I am no expert), but both
configurations are pretty vanilla, installed using the recommended defaults,
don't do anything fancy.  the Linux box now serves 2 hard drives and 7
CD-ROM drives.  The performance is most noticeable on the CD-ROMs, I think
because Linux caches the directories and NT dosn;t (I guess).

I don't have any Linux vs Novel, but I do have NT vs novel, and Novel
handles 200 users better than NT.  again, no hard numbers, but I hear they
are out there.  something about all os's being similar in the 1 - 5 user
load, but in the 50-500 user load Unix (any brand) takes the lead, novel
then NT.  keep looking, the truth is out there...

Carl

Post by Stepke » Sat, 04 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I don't have any Linux vs Novel, but I do have NT vs novel, and Novel
> handles 200 users better than NT.  again, no hard numbers, but I hear they

Yes, like everything in MS products, they all implement it half. With
IPX there
is still burst-mode missing in NT. 30% Performance loss compared to
NOVELL and
LINUX (yes, it supports burst, you have to compile it in !) is quite
normal.

Quote:> are out there.  something about all os's being similar in the 1 - 5 user
> load, but in the 50-500 user load Unix (any brand) takes the lead, novel
> then NT.  keep looking, the truth is out there...

500 ?

> Carl

> >I realize this is a linux group, so most of your are probably partial to
> >linux, but does anyone have any hard info about performance of a
> linux/samba

IPX (see mars_nwe) runs very fast, SAMBA has become quite fast since the
last
few weeks.

regards, Guido Stepken

1. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

        Every machine and operating system has got its useful
purpose...

        I see no point in argueing with people which OS is better, and
which is worse, and what will survive and what wont...

        The bottom line is obviously the best OS is the one that make
the end user most productive.    Ive used quite a variety of software
from intel, ibm, MS, sun, GNU, DEC/compaq, etc,   and everything OS
has got its UPz and DOWnz, so depending on what you want to do with it
yer machine, probably determines what OS you run.

        So lets cut to the chase -  OS bashing is a waste of time,
and most of the time I'd say the person putting it down just hasn't
seen that particular OS's potential,  or should I say speciality....

      Hell,  Plan 9 has even got some interesting features.. <snicker>

       And all PC users know,  that no matter what use on a day to day
basis on the PC, that one day you will need to boot good ole ancient
DOS to do something...

2. kmail filters?

3. Linux vs. NT vs. Novell as a web server

4. ANNOUNCE: IP_MASQ mailing list (1.3.n kernel)

5. Student Laboratories: Novell/Win95 vs NT vs Linux

6. Ghost E-mail

7. Speed: Linux SAMBA vs. Win95 vs NT

8. To which version should I upgrade?

9. Help: NT vs. Novell vs. UNIX

10. FPU performance of Pentium vs. K6 vs. Ppro vs. PII

11. Speed, SAMBA vs. Win95 vs. NT.

12. Samba vs NT, which gives best PCs / Server Performance?

13. Samba performance vs. Windows NT - a tuning issue?