NEWBIE: Need a Windoze / Linux Peer-to-Peer

NEWBIE: Need a Windoze / Linux Peer-to-Peer

Post by Cerberu » Mon, 17 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Oh wise gurus,

I want to set up a simple 2-3 machine home network.  I have 2 Windoze 95
machines and a single Linux box coupled with three 3COM 3c509 10 Mb BNC
network cards.  HELP!!  I need a simple, straightforward explanation of how
to do this.  If possible, I would also like to have the Linux box access a
dial-up account through one of the Windoze machines.  If you can give
answers, sources for answers, HOWTOs, or m*support, please respond
A.S.A.P :)  Thanks for your time.

NEWBIE: Need a Windoze / Linux Peer-to-Peer

Post by Cerberu » Mon, 17 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Oh wise gurus,

> I want to set up a simple 2-3 machine home network.  I have 2 Windoze 95
> machines and a single Linux box coupled with three 3COM 3c509 10 Mb BNC
> network cards.  HELP!!  I need a simple, straightforward explanation of
how
> to do this.  If possible, I would also like to have the Linux box access
> dial-up account through one of the Windoze machines.  If you can give
> answers, sources for answers, HOWTOs, or m*support, please respond
> A.S.A.P :)  Thanks for your time.

Oh yea, the specs are something like this:

Linux 2.0.30 (Slackware 3.3)
X-Windows does NOT work
TCP/IP compiled into kernel.

NEWBIE: Need a Windoze / Linux Peer-to-Peer

Post by Bob » Mon, 17 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I want to set up a simple 2-3 machine home network.  I have 2 Windoze 95
>machines and a single Linux box coupled with three 3COM 3c509 10 Mb BNC
>network cards.

Should be nor problem at all.

Quote:>  HELP!!  I need a simple, straightforward explanation of how
>to do this.  If possible, I would also like to have the Linux box access a
>dial-up account through one of the Windoze machines.  If you can give
>answers, sources for answers, HOWTOs, or m*support, please respond
>A.S.A.P :)  Thanks for your time.

I'm going to assume that:

1. You only have one IP address assigned to you (dial-up ISP account).
2. The IP address you get is dynamic (changes on each dial-in).
3. You want all your machines to be able to access the internet when
connected.
4. You want the dial-up to occur automatically.

If this is close, take a look at the following:

The PPP HowTo for specifics on getting the LINUX box to connect to
your ISP.

The diald program to automatically dial-up your ISP whenever one of
your computers needs access to the Internet. Diald will also
disconnect on configurable timeouts.

IP Masquerade features of Linux for info on sharing a single IP
address.

I used this exact configuration to share my ISP dial-up with a Linux
box and three Win95 machines. It worked very well. Because the Linux
box did everything automatically for me, I didn't have to worry about
showing my family all the intricacies of dialing in etc. It just
dialed whenever they launched a browser.

One trick that really helped was reading up on masquerade
initialization scripts, then adapting those as the "ip-up" script used
by diald. This script gets called with the IP address, mask etc.
assigned by your ISP on connection. I was able to write a script that
took these and configured masquerade accordingly.

It's all a bit cryptic at first, but keep with it. I'm sure you'll
find Linux can do more for much less than any alternatives! It'll also
do it with less hardware, so you can keep the powerful hardware for
important things like games and running bloated Windows apps. :)

- Bob

1. Is there any way to do Linux peer to peer w/ Windoze?

I am running Mandrake 7-0-2, and what I would like to do is have linux show
itself on the network as another peer-to-peer like we are currently doing
with the windoze boxes. We have 95, 98, 98se, and 2000 running that way. I
despise Micro$loth as much as anyone, however it is very nice to use all the
drives as storage as I am currently doing. Does anyone know of a way to do
this? I tried Samba and I will admit I have a LOT!!!! to learn. At least at
this point I can "see" the machine on the lan (Network Neighborhood). I
can't access it yet. When I double click it I get a message box "Enter
network password. Resource:  \\SERVER\IPC$" I wish I understood that
message. I am reading all the online stuff I can find as well as the book
"Using Samba, by Eckstein, Collier-Brown, & Kelly." I am beginning to feel
very inadequate. I call the machines kitchen(win98), counter(win98se),
tech(win2k), and server(linux). When I set up kitchen w/ a login and
password I am unable to "see" the rest of them in Network Neighborhood, even
though ICS(counter) still works. I can use Netscape(server) and browse the
"net". So I know the lan is functioning in and out of server. Maybe what I
want to do can't be done. But that is the problem, I just don't know!
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Newbie question on setting an initial program

3. Need help for a peer-to-peer network

4. floppy / 2.0.35 / Digital Hinote Ultra 2000 : unexpected interrupt

5. Peer-to-Peer : Mixed Linux and Windows

6. error message when I start linux...

7. Need HELP !!: Linux/Win98 Peer to Peer

8. PPP/modem/minicom/not responding

9. Peer-to-Peer Network of LINUX Workstations, IS IT POSSIBLE?

10. Peer-to-peer network between a Linux and a DOS

11. how do I setup a peer-to-peer network with Linux??

12. Linux Peer-to-Peer problems. HELP PLEASE!!

13. _Networking Ques.: Is "Peer-to-Peer" Networking Possible Among Multiple Linux Standalone Machines?