how do I use DHCP or whatever I am supposed to use with my network card

how do I use DHCP or whatever I am supposed to use with my network card

Post by Nathan Thompso » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 01:26:38

I have 10/100 fast ethernet lan card or something like that and I cant get
the network to work, can someone tell me exactatly what to do?, without the
network I don't have access to internet. I'm stuck using windows until I can
get linux to work properly. can anyone help me.

how do I use DHCP or whatever I am supposed to use with my network card

Post by James Knot » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 01:40:17

Please supply a bit more info, such as hardware involved? network?
firewall?  error messages? Linux distro?

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly ignored.

how do I use DHCP or whatever I am supposed to use with my network card

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:08:51

Hi!,

Quote:> I have 10/100 fast ethernet lan card or something like that and I cant get
> the network to work, can someone tell me exactatly what to do?, without the
> network I don't have access to internet. I'm stuck using windows until I
> can get linux to work properly. can anyone help me.

Can you provide us with some more information like the make of the network
card and what the output of your /sbin/ifconfig and /sbin/route -n commands
are.  Additionaly, make sure that you have got the "Plug and Play" operating
system option disabled in the BIOS.

You might also like to read the DHCP which exists in the HOWTO/Mini-HOWTO
section on http://www.linuxdoc.org.

See ya

Dean Thompson