Linux losing default gateway

Post by Matthew Harrel » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

[ text1.txt 1K ]
Hello,

At work we use a Red Hat Linux 5.0 PC (Dell Dimension XPS) for our
firewall, web server, and mail server.  It does admirably except for
one problem:  it occasionally (every few days to every couple weeks)
loses it's default gateway, and our connection to the internet is
suddenly gone.  We have a 56kB dedicated line (not dialup).  The
default gateway is, then, the router connecting us to that line.
We're at a bit of a loss as to why it's doing this, and sometimes it
not only just loses the default gateway, but it sometimes seems to
fill in it's own IP number for the default, which is totally wrong
(this just happened the other night, totally baffling us).  The couple
of Linux (and UNIX, for that matter) supporters in our small company
had a bit of a hard time getting our president to agree to use Linux
instead of NT, so we'd really like to get this working without
glitches like this.  Thanks for any ideas anyone can come up with.

--
Matt Harrell

http://my.voyager.net/mharrell

Linux losing default gateway

Post by Steve Szmid » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>At work we use a Red Hat Linux 5.0 PC (Dell Dimension XPS) for our firewall, web >server, and mail server.
>It does admirably except for one problem: it occasionally (every few days to every >couple weeks) loses it's
>default gateway, and our connection to the internet is suddenly gone. We have a 56kB >dedicated line (not
>dialup). The default gateway is, then, the router connecting us to that line. We're >at a bit of a loss as to why
>it's doing this, and sometimes it not only just loses the default gateway, but it >sometimes seems to fill in
>it's own IP number for the default, which is totally wrong (this just happened the >other night, totally
>baffling us). The couple of Linux (and UNIX, for that matter) supporters in our small >company had a bit of
>a hard time getting our president to agree to use Linux instead of NT, so we'd really >like to get this working
>without glitches like this. Thanks for any ideas anyone can come up with.

I don't know how you establish your connection, but you can create a
static route and use it.

add eth0 net 0.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw <gateway address>

to /etc/sysconfig/static-routes

Steve Szmidt