kernel upgrade breaks sendmail - new

Post by Al Longye » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>I posted about this a couple of weeks ago, but I had essentially no
>details to provide on it.

And you wanted an answer, correct?

Quote:>I tried to upgrade my kernel from 1.1.13 to 1.2.13.  Everything seemed
>to work, except sendmail (5.67b).  I backed off to a 1.2.1 kernel, but
>still no luck.
>I checked the syslog and see this:
>sendmail[79]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR: getrequests: cannot bind: Address
>already in use
>Can anybody tell me what this means and why a kernel upgrade would
>cause it to happen?

It means that you have a statement in the /etc/inetd.conf file which is
monitoring the smtp port. Take it out and SIGHUP the inetd.

--

Post by Jonathan Kame » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

|> sendmail[79]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR: getrequests: cannot bind: Address
|> already in use
|>
|> Can anybody tell me what this means and why a kernel upgrade would
|> cause it to happen?

Because the 1.1.x kernels had a bug which allowed sendmail to rebind a port
already bound by inetd, even though it shouldn't have been able to.

Comment out the smtp line in your /etc/inetd.conf.  Then, either send a HUP
signal to inetd and then restart sendmail, or reboot.

This problem has been around for so long that it's probably documented in the
FAQ or in a HOWTO.  Unfortunately, I can't check to see if that's true because
my SLIP account is scrod right now (I'm composing this off-line for later
posting).

1. kernel upgrade breaks sendmail - SOLVED!

OK OK ! I got the answer.  Thanks to everybody who wrote in.  Here's a
summary of what they told me.  (As far as I can tell, this is not
mentioned in any FAQ or HOWTO.)

The problem was that inetd was listening to the SMTP port;  it had a
very old config file, from the original SLS installation.

Running sendmail as a daemon had worked, up until now, because there
was a bug in pre-1.2 Linux kernels which allowed it to grab the port
away from inetd.  This has now been fixed, so the bad inetd.conf came
to the surface.  Removing the lines for smtp from the config let
sendmail run.

Once again, the Net comes through!  Now, please stop sending me
mail...

2. xhost question

3. Kernel upgrade broke kernel compilation

4. Netscape & directory HEADERs

5. kernel upgrade broke ppp; kernel version message

6. Gnome 2.0 Desktop (Solaris 8)

7. Make broken, top broken, flock errors, kernel modules broken

8. Any Experience w/ Triton II (430HX) MBoards & FreeBSD?

9. Problem in upgrading kernel -- can't boot the system with new 2.4.1 kernel

10. Upgrade 1.2.13 -> 2.0 breaks Sendmail

11. AIX 4.1.4 upgrade to 4.1.5 broke sendmail

12. File locking broken by recent 1.1.x/1.2.0 kernel or sendmail 8.6.10?

13. Sendmail broken under 2.x kernels?