rcp not working

Post by Mitch DSou » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

-->
-->I can't seem to get rcp to work from a non-Linux host to my Linux box. Rsh
-->and rlogin work fine from this host to Linux. My login ID's and password's
-->are identical on both systems. In addition, I have .rhosts setup fine. When I
-->try to do an rcp to the Linux system I get "rcmd: socket: Permission denied".
-->I thought rcp and rsh used the same permissions. I have no problem at all do
-->rsh. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure your rcp, rsh are suid root as it needs to access privileged ports.

Mitch

rcp not working

Post by John Dav » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I can't seem to get rcp to work from a non-Linux host to my Linux box. Rsh
and rlogin work fine from this host to Linux. My login ID's and password's
are identical on both systems. In addition, I have .rhosts setup fine. When I
try to do an rcp to the Linux system I get "rcmd: socket: Permission denied".
I thought rcp and rsh used the same permissions. I have no problem at all do
rsh. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Raleigh, N.C.

rcp not working

 : : -->
 :
 : : Make sure your rcp, rsh are suid root as it needs to access privileged ports.
 :
 : I have a similar problem as John, except I am trying to use rcp between
 : 2 linux boxes connected with slip.  I can connect just fine and use
 : telnet or ftp, but rsh and rcp just give the message "Permission
 : denied.".  Both rcp and rsh are suid root as sugggested above.  I think
 : I have the .rhosts, and even /etc/hosts.equiv set up properly, but I
 : still can't rcp.  Does anybody have any other suggestions on how I can
 : trace the problem down?
Well, I never encountered these problems. I can rsh, rlogin, and rcp to
and from a SCO host to my linux box (rsh in SCO is called rcmd ;-)).
The stuff mentioned above has to be set uid root and the .rhost has
to be setup correctly. Best is to use the SAME user name on both systems.

.rhosts:
your.ip.name.address _SPACE_ userName

permissions of .rhosts should be set correctly: chmod 600 .rhosts !!

I'm using the standard Slackware 2.1 setup (kernel 1.2.8).

Hope this helps
Sebastian
--

;-)
Sebastian Bunka                 ph. (+43-1) 711 55 301

University of Veterinary Medicine - Vienna - Austria

rcp not working

Post by Mitch DSou » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

-->: -->
[...]

What do you have in your rhosts and hosts.equiv files ? Is it the FQDN or
just the hostname, and what does your /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.conf
say ? I.e. does the first hostname for your ip (not aliases) match
what is in your rhosts ?

Mitch

rcp not working

Post by Carl Johns » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: -->
[...]

Thanks in advance.

--

rcp not working

Post by Carl Johns » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: -->: -->
[...]

Oops, it doesn't match.  I'll change them around and try again.

Thanks for the information.

--

1. rcp not working

OK, what is the trick to get rcp to work. rlogin and rsh are
working but rcp just returns with "rcmd: socket: Permission
denied". can anyone help?

thanks...

2. how to know DNS's IP?

3. Slackware Installation Info

4. RCP not working

5. X-server+telnet

6. rcp not working

7. Why won't my shell script work?

8. RCP not working

9. rlogin, rcp - rsh Not Working, Please Help

10. rcp does not work?

11. 3.0R RCP Does Not Work

12. Rcp from ok rcp to no good