Remote CVS Access Broke With RedHat 5.2 Linux Upgrade

Remote CVS Access Broke With RedHat 5.2 Linux Upgrade

Post by David Heddl » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I recently upgraded my home Linux box to Red Hat 5.2. This also upgraded
cvs to 1.10. I keep a cvs repository on the home linux box and use
password authentication from machines over the net for access. After
upgrading, if I try to access the repository remotely I get the
following error

Quote:>cvs update

cvs [update aborted]: unrecognized auth response from 137.155.x.x :
error 0 Server configuration missing --allow-root in inetd.conf

(I put int the x.x to protect the ip address)

All this worked beautifully before I upgraded (betcha never heard that
from a linux user before!) Any suggestions? It seems as if I need
"--allow-root" SOMEWHERE in my inetd.conf file, but I do not know where.

Thanks for any & all help.

David

Post by Derald Metzge » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I recently upgraded my home Linux box to Red Hat 5.2. This also
> upgraded cvs to 1.10. I keep a cvs repository on the home linux box
> and use password authentication from machines over the net for access.
> After upgrading, if I try to access the repository remotely I get the
> following error

> >cvs update
> cvs [update aborted]: unrecognized auth response from 137.155.x.x :
> error 0 Server configuration missing --allow-root in inetd.conf

> (I put int the x.x to protect the ip address)

> All this worked beautifully before I upgraded (betcha never heard that
> from a linux user before!) Any suggestions? It seems as if I need
> "--allow-root" SOMEWHERE in my inetd.conf file, but I do not know
> where.

> Thanks for any & all help.

> David

I'm not familiar with older version of cvs but the err msg is indicating
that the /etc/inetd.conf line does not contain the proper
`allow-root=<$CVSROOT>' value for your repository. Here is an example
line:
cvspserver  stream  tcp  nowait  root  /usr/bin/cvs  cvs
--allow-root=/cm/cvstst pserver
You can find more doc on this using `info cvs->m repository->m remote->m
password'.
I may post a detailed setup for a remote repository with some minimal
access control features on www.remotesensing.org in the near future.

--
Derald Metzger