ISP assigns a static ip to the router, ip of eth0 ?

ISP assigns a static ip to the router, ip of eth0 ?

Post by iond » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi, Paul

First of all I wanna thank you for your public tutorial "Red Hat Linux
6.X as an Internet Gateway for a Home Network",
maybe simple but perfectly reflecting a real small-office network
situation (mine):

adsl connection with a static ip (through a cisco ios router) to a
internal network,
firewalled by a gateway/dns linux Redhat 6.2 box with two eth nics.

Here in Italy just now ISPs start to offer adsl connections with static
ip so I believe my question will be useful
for many guys (if there is a answer ;-).

=====================================================================================================

If your internet provider has assigned you a static IP address, you are
sitting pretty. First, create a new interface configuration file,
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and put the following in it:

DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=x.x.x.x
NETMASK=y.y.y.y
ONBOOT=yes

Just fill in x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y with the values given by your internet
provider.
=====================================================================================================

Okay, but if  ISP assigns the static ip (x.x.x.x/32) to the router's
dialing interface, which network addressing have I to choose for
the linux box's eth0 and consequently for the router's ethernet
interface too ?

again many thanks,
Luke

ISP assigns a static ip to the router, ip of eth0 ?

Post by iond » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Well, if you are really using an IOS router, then the situation should
> look somewhat like this:

> ISP (x.x.x.x) <--> (y.y.y.y) Cisco (z.z.z.z) <--> (a.a.a.a) Linux  (b.b.b.b) <---> Internal Net

The Cisco router 1417  hasn't firewall and VPN functions (upgrade=$) so
I have to configure them on the linux box. So I also decided to set up NAT on it.
Besides I want to know better Linux.

However this is my actual solution:
ISP (?.?.?.?) <--> (195.86.10.1) Cisco (194.86.62.254) <--> (194.86.62.1) Linux  masqueraded(192.168.1.1)
<---> Internal Net

In this way I can go out, but anyone will find my future web server doing http://195.86.10.1

Thanks for your speedy answer,
Luke

ISP assigns a static ip to the router, ip of eth0 ?

Post by Yeoh Yi » Sat, 26 Aug 2000 13:14:18

I there a simple mini-howto which addresses the case of
an ISP giving me a few numbers and names, I edit a couple
of config files and execute something like net start ?

I have been reading various howtos and faqs and many mention
part of this process (which should be only about a dozen steps)
but no doc I've found so far seems complete, though they're
all much longer than 12 lines.

eg
[1]
http://howto.tucows.com/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Home-Network-mini-HOWTO-3.html
will tell me how to pretend to assign a hostname under DHCP, but
does not mention how to assign hostname in the case of static ip.

[2] Next up,
  http://www.linuxvoodoo.org/howto/LDP/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO-5.html tells me
"
  If you wish to install a linux machine onto an existing IP network
  then you should contact whoever administers the network and ask them
  for the following information:

  Host IP Address IP network address IP broadcast address IP netmask
  Router address Domain Name Server Address. You should then configure
  your linux network device with those details. You can not make them up
  and expect your configuration to work.
"

Great, but it doesn't tell me where to enter these numbers.
It does point me to, eg, RedHat's netcfg, and by carefully watching netcfg
I can observe what info goes into /etc/hosts.conf etc.
*But this faq doesn't tell me what info goes where*.

[3] debian does better, at
http://www.spack.org/geek/debian-user-guide.html#R68

" The network installation process is concerned with the construction
  of three configuration files:

  /etc/hosts
  /etc/resolv.conf
  /etc/init.d/network

It does so by collecting the following information:

  Host Name
  Domain Name
  Full Name
  IP address
  Netmask
  Network Address
  Broadcast Address
  Gateway Address
  Nameserver Addresses
"

which is great, but if you didn't specify a hostname when
installing linux, there's no second chance to choose one.

So, looks like I should write up a micro static-ip net faq.

or have I been looking in the wrong places ?

> Hi, Paul

> First of all I wanna thank you for your public tutorial "Red Hat Linux
> 6.X as an Internet Gateway for a Home Network",
> maybe simple but perfectly reflecting a real small-office network
> situation (mine):

1. Dynamically assign VPN IP's to LAN static IP's

Our LAN of PCs suported by 6.1 Linux (Samba, IP masq to Internet ppp)
has static IPs of the 192.168.1.x variety. We want to connect the
network to another that expects IPs 172.16.10.x variety. I've used a
second network card to connect to the 172.16.10.x network but the only
way I got the remote host  to accept connections is by changing the
static IP in the PC. This creates problems with the LAN functionality
and ties users to specific PCs.

I read the above and I got confused, so, let me restate the problem: How
do I get a certain IP (192.168.1.2) to appear as another (172.16.10.199)
when it trys to connect to a gateway 172.16.10.190?

Please, let me know the way or point to some decent doc! Thank you

Demetris

2. Ultra 2 - DG clariion problem

3. linking private IP with ISP assigned IP

4. more aic7xxx boot failure

5. Static IP network setup with a dynamic dial-up IP from ISP

6. tcpview-1.0 is now available

7. DNS woes, Static IP, and Dynamic IP from ISP

8. Open LPD Access?

9. IP over IP to make static IP?

10. Assign static IP to each switch port

11. procedure to setup primary dns with one static cable assigned IP?

12. DHCP assign "static-IP" based on client hostname

13. Assigning static IP to NIC