Hardware person wants references for network programming

Hardware person wants references for network programming

Post by Tom » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have been an electronics engineer for 20 years now and I have designed
hardware modems and other types of communications systems.

I have been using linux for a couple of years and I am really intrigued
with  network programming but I must admit I am at a loss as to where to
start. I do a lot of C, some C++.

Should I start out with finding books on various protocols such as
TCP/IP? Is there a good general guide to the programming aspects of
networking.

I imagine that all the software in the world is in my linux distribution
but I sure wish that I had some sort of a guide.

So, come on. Will some of you young hot-shots give an old fart a hand?
;-)

Thanks
Tom

Post by Lew Pitche » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have been an electronics engineer for 20 years now and I have designed
> hardware modems and other types of communications systems.

> I have been using linux for a couple of years and I am really intrigued
> with  network programming but I must admit I am at a loss as to where to
> start. I do a lot of C, some C++.

> Should I start out with finding books on various protocols such as
> TCP/IP? Is there a good general guide to the programming aspects of
> networking.

> I imagine that all the software in the world is in my linux distribution
> but I sure wish that I had some sort of a guide.

> So, come on. Will some of you young hot-shots give an old fart a hand?
> ;-)

By far the clearest books I've ever read on TCP/IP networking and
programming Unix for networking are the books by the late W. Richard
Stevens. They are...

"TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols"
by W. Richard Stevens
(C) 1994 by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
ISBN 0-201-63346-9

"TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2: The Implementation"
by Gary R. Wright and W. Richard Stevens
(C) 1995 by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
ISBN 0-201-63354-X

"TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 3: TCP for Transactions..."
by W. Richard Stevens
(C) 1996 by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
ISBN 0-201-63495-3

"Unix Network Programming, Volume 1: Networking APIs"
by W. Richard Stevens
(C) 1998 by Prentice-Hall, Inc.
ISBN 0-13-490012-X

"Unix Network Programming, Volume 2: Interprocess Communications"
by W. Richard Stevens
(C) 1999 by Prentice-Hall, Inc.
ISBN 0-13-081081-9

of equal quality and value is...

"Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment"
by W. Richard Stevens
(C) 1993 by Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.
ISBN 0-201-56317-7

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

1. DataBase program wanted (for references)

I'm looking for a relatively simple data base application program that
runs under Linux, (prefer it to be free, but can afford a cheap commercial
one if it comes highly recommended).

At the moment I just want it to take a list of references and output it
in a format suitable for BibTeX to use.  I don't really care if it's
specific to references or not, since a more general database program would
also be useful.

Thanks in advance

Rohan Tronson

2. Tcsh Prompt

3. Hardware test program wanted

4. Realtime Windows! And Linux?

5. Online tutorials/reference for network programming?

6. ifconfig output

7. Wanted: Heterogenous Network Backup Software/Hardware Suggestions

8. Debian

9. WANTED: person to do graphics prototypes for PD "Civ II"

10. WANTED: UK unix person ..

11. WANTED: Contract Person for Linux - Routers

12. sys admin person wanted

13. WANTED: UK unix person ..