need recommandation: buying new modem

Post by Robi » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am buying a new modem.  Please give me some suggestions,
for both internals & externals. for Linux of course.

My ISP use v.90 & Kflex.

Also, a stupid question: Is Kflex better than X2 or reversely?

Thanks.

need recommandation: buying new modem

Post by George E. Waldr » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I am buying a new modem.  Please give me some suggestions,
> for both internals & externals. for Linux of course.

 > My ISP use v.90 & Kflex.

I've been having good luck with the Thunderlink modems.  Boca is also
good, and considerably cheaper than the corresponding USR.  I have also
used a lot of USR, with good success.   > Also, a stupid question: Is
Kflex better than X2 or reversely?

Whatever winds your clock.  I purposely stayed out of that flamewar.
Get one that already has V.90.  This was the standard for 56K that
resolved the conflict between X2 (USR) and Kflex (Rockwell).

HTH,

!^NavFont02F0206000EIG98HHrIH61HINCA65

--
 - George E. Waldron  at 07/17/98, 20:16
   Computers, by George!

***
    I am not suffering from insanity....I enjoy every minute     of it!
***

Post by Alber » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>I am buying a new modem.  Please give me some suggestions,
>for both internals & externals. for Linux of course.

>My ISP use v.90 & Kflex.

>Also, a stupid question: Is Kflex better than X2 or reversely?

>Thanks.

I posted "56k modem recommendation for linux on a Mac" in NGs. Result: I
bought a Zoom 56k, but I did not install LinuxPPC in the meantime. The
main argument for my buy has been Zoom's article "UNIX & XENIX &
Terminals & Other NON-PC-non-dos-based applications (including VAX, pay
telephones, remote controller or other)", where I could see that they
are saying more than "not supported, but could work". The text you can
download at the file-section.

There I found:
"Zoom's Webmaster, who uses a Zoom modem with Linux, adds the following
comments.

The three common uses of a modem with Linux are:

1.  PPP connections with pppd
2.  Terminal communications with minicom or seyon
3.  Accepting dialup connections with getty"

The most important thing I think is, that the modem is an external one
with hardware-correction. Beware of "soft-modems", because they would
not work.

Albert

1. Need advice in buying new modem

I am running an Intel 486-50 with obviously the Linux os.   Is it
impossible to configure a "win" modem to handle dial up scripts in
Linux?  Also, modems that claim windows is required to operate...Is this
correct?   I don't believe it, but thought I would ask....
Any advice on modems would be appreciated.
Dave

2. Linux Compression?

3. Buying new modem

4. scsi connectors (IBM <-> SUN)

5. New Linux Modem - What to buy

6. Authentication failed when trying Samba

7. Buying a new PC - modem

8. ppp connection gets a dynamic ip, but modprobe can't load module

9. New Sound Card & Modem: Which to Buy?

10. Need your opinions for buying a new "Graphic Adapter"

11. Need advice on buying a new Linux box

12. Should I need to buy new box set of RedHat Linux 5.2?

13. Buying new server -- advice needed.