Tool to monitor and kill sockets

Post by Mark Damme » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I am looking for a tool that allows me to monitor sockets and to kill
sockets that are left open by crashed applications (e.g. Netscape).
The problem is, that these sockets are always opening my
isdn-connection - and that is a waste of money !

Thanks for any help,
Mark

Post by Tom East » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>>I am looking for a tool that allows me to monitor sockets and to kill
>>sockets that are left open by crashed applications (e.g. Netscape).
>>The problem is, that these sockets are always opening my
>>isdn-connection - and that is a waste of money !

>You might take a look into /usr/src/linux/Documentation/proc.txt
>for what is possible. There is no way to `kill a socket though
>and if an application crashes the connection is going to be teared
>down anyway.

>Could be there is still something running like the DNS helper.

Or port 137:139 noise from Winxx/Samba....

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here are

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer
ICQ #60745924               \____________________________

Tool to monitor and kill sockets

Post by Mark Damme » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ursprngliche Nachricht <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

(Tom Eastep) zum Thema Re: Tool to monitor and kill sockets:

> >>I am looking for a tool that allows me to monitor sockets and to
kill
> >>sockets that are left open by crashed applications (e.g. Netscape).
> >>The problem is, that these sockets are always opening my
> >>isdn-connection - and that is a waste of money !

> >You might take a look into /usr/src/linux/Documentation/proc.txt
> >for what is possible. There is no way to `kill a socket though
> >and if an application crashes the connection is going to be teared
> >down anyway.

> >Could be there is still something running like the DNS helper.

> Or port 137:139 noise from Winxx/Samba....

No, I have closed all privileged ports with ipchains and I am
experiencing the problem whenever netscape or staroffice with network
connection are crashing on a linux client.

Greetings,
Mark