pppoe if fails on boot but not when manually activated

pppoe if fails on boot but not when manually activated

Post by William Gil » Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:46:26

I have FC2 (Fedora Core 2) on my gateway machine, and all is fine.  I
want to update it to FC4.  As an intermediate step I put FC4 on an older
box.  At first I had video problems, but found a not quite as old video
card so I can see what I'm doing.

I set up eth0 with no IP, ppp0 for Xdsl (pppoe), and eth1 with a private
LAN address.  When the system boots, eth0,and eth1 both come up ok, but
ppp0 always fails.  After Fedora gets to the desktop, I can activate
ppp0 using  the Network Device Control tool.  Can someone tell me where
to look so that ppp0 doesn't fail on boot up?

Once I'm sure I can get FC4 running ok, I can put it on the original
gateway, but if I start and don't get everything working, my wife won't
be able to browse or get e-mail until I do.  That's not good.

Thanks,

Bill

pppoe if fails on boot but not when manually activated

Post by William Gil » Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:53:38

Just to be clear, I can run /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart (the same
script that fails in boot), and it works.

Bill

> I have FC2 (Fedora Core 2) on my gateway machine, and all is fine.  I
> want to update it to FC4.  As an intermediate step I put FC4 on an older
> box.  At first I had video problems, but found a not quite as old video
> card so I can see what I'm doing.

> I set up eth0 with no IP, ppp0 for Xdsl (pppoe), and eth1 with a private
> LAN address.  When the system boots, eth0,and eth1 both come up ok, but
> ppp0 always fails.  After Fedora gets to the desktop, I can activate
> ppp0 using  the Network Device Control tool.  Can someone tell me where
> to look so that ppp0 doesn't fail on boot up?

> Once I'm sure I can get FC4 running ok, I can put it on the original
> gateway, but if I start and don't get everything working, my wife won't
> be able to browse or get e-mail until I do.  That's not good.

> Thanks,

> Bill

pppoe if fails on boot but not when manually activated

Post by Raqueeb Hassa » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 02:13:56

Quote:> Can someone tell me where
> to look so that ppp0 doesn't fail on boot up?

Perhaps, you might look into the order of ppp0 and associated eth0 to
come up. So far my knowledge goes (I might be wrong) the associated
ethernet interface, here eth0 shouldn't be up --- cause it will
obviously be called by ppp0 at later stage.

Disabling pppoe in init.d  and adding that pppoe start-up script in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local might do the trick.

Just let us know.

--
Raqueeb Hassan
Bangladesh

pppoe if fails on boot but not when manually activated

Post by William Gil » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:59:25

eth0 must be up, even if it doesn't have an ip, or pppoe won't activate.
I already tried restarting the pppoe device in rc.local, it didn't help.
  Yet I can bring it up at the command line using the init.d network
script (the same one used at boot), by using ifup, or by using
/sbin/service network restart? (I tried all of these in rc.local too,
without any success)

Bill

>>Can someone tell me where
>>to look so that ppp0 doesn't fail on boot up?

> Perhaps, you might look into the order of ppp0 and associated eth0 to
> come up. So far my knowledge goes (I might be wrong) the associated
> ethernet interface, here eth0 shouldn't be up --- cause it will
> obviously be called by ppp0 at later stage.

> Disabling pppoe in init.d  and adding that pppoe start-up script in
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local might do the trick.

> Just let us know.

> --
> Raqueeb Hassan
> Bangladesh

pppoe if fails on boot but not when manually activated

Post by Raqueeb Hassa » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:11:40

Quote:> eth0 must be up, even if it doesn't have an ip, or pppoe won't activate.

<snip>

Well, I agree. IMHO, most of the pppoe start-up script does it by
default, like calling eth0 first before nogotiating with virtual
interfaces like ppp0. But, please check that whether ppp0 is being
called before eth0 is up or not at boot time. The order should be eth0
--> ppp0. So, in boot time should ppp0 is is being called before eth0
is really up, it might fail.

--
Raqueeb Hassan
Bangladesh

pppoe if fails on boot but not when manually activated

Post by William Gil » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:37:52

Sorry, I misunderstood, yes they are booting in proper order (eth0
before ppp0).

Bill