How configure PPPD for a LINUX WWW server by lease (asyn) line

How configure PPPD for a LINUX WWW server by lease (asyn) line

Post by E. Vermaa » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

Does some one have information about configuration off PPPD on Linux. I
want to use Linux as a WWW server through a lease asyn 28.8 modem line.
And I want to use mine locale serial lines as ppp lines even when the
lease line is down.

Eric.

Post by Stefan Beth » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Does some one have information about configuration off PPPD on Linux. I
> want to use Linux as a WWW server through a lease asyn 28.8 modem line.
> And I want to use mine locale serial lines as ppp lines even when the
> lease line is down.

> Eric.

First, it works for us, but with some tweaking.
Linux pppd can run simultaneously on as many ports you have; there ist no
problem in having two or more active ppp sessions at one time.

Most of our problems came from the fact that both pppd and most modems
assume you're on a dial-up line, not a leased line.

Two possible solutions:
1. Get your modems to automatically re-establish the link after it broke
down. Build a small shell script around pppd so it is restarted immediatly
after the connection breaks down. If you can configure your modem to
completely ignore the serial interface when not in online mode, you also
need no chat script. We're using US Robotics Courier V.34, and they cancel
a connection attempt in progress when a character is received from the
local host (typically, pppd will try to establish LCP as soon as it
starts, thereby killing the connection attempt).

2. Set up the modems so one always waits for a carrier (not for the phone
ringing, which will never happen on a leased line :-). Set up the other
for conventional dial-up line. Write a simple chat script that connects
(ATD^M) should be sufficient) and apply the same loop around pppd as
above.

Probably your ISP will know how to set up his terminal server; when using
scenario 2, put the answering modem at your ISP's end of the line).

If you have two Linux boxes, try it out beforehand! If one modem is not at
your place, it might be quite cumbersome to reconfigure it!

Hope this helps,
Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik + Systemberatung GmbH  |  Tel. +49-40-43 13 60 0

Germany                                   |  http://www.Promo.DE/

1. Linux permanent Line (connection two linux machines over a leased line (permanent telephone line)

Hi

I am trying to configure a ppp server to connection two linux machines
together. Aim is to connect two lans and finally make it possible to connect
into the internet through one server.

The leased line (permanen telephone line) is working. I can connect both
machines via minicom, but i am not able to set up the ppp server. If read
the standard howto's and i haven't solved setting up server and client
probably, whether normal ppp-client is working for other accounts.

Any experiences, suggestions? Help would be real great.

thanks in advance for every help

Christian

2. OSS sound problem in 2.1.108 with GUS

3. Combining leased lines into a super leased line

4. best tutorial for unix

5. LEased line pppd problems

6. Installing Linux Redhat 4.1

7. Leased line connection and PPPd

8. ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

9. Leased Line pppd will not reconnect itself HELP!

10. leased line pppd problem

11. Linux Firewall, Leased Line, Microsoft VPN server problem

12. pppd assigning IP addresses to leased line connections

13. PROBLEM: pppd over leased line - packet loss