Removing network services -- how?

Post by John A. Thoma » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I've installed Linux on a second machine now, and I'm getting around
to t* out some of the things the installation routines included.
(This is kernel 2.0.30).

I only use these machines as stand-alone systems connected to an ISP
through PPP.  I assume I don't need things like Appletalk, or NFS, but
how do I prevent their starting when the system boots?  Is there a FAQ
that covers this?

Thanks in advance.
JT

5720 LBJ Fwy., Suite 470 | (972) 387-8881 | http://www.veryComputer.com/
Dallas, TX 75240-6328    |       Fax      | PGP public key available

Post by Thomas Linde » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I've installed Linux on a second machine now, and I'm getting around
> to t* out some of the things the installation routines included.
> (This is kernel 2.0.30).

> I only use these machines as stand-alone systems connected to an ISP
> through PPP.  I assume I don't need things like Appletalk, or NFS, but
> how do I prevent their starting when the system boots?  Is there a FAQ
> that covers this?

> Thanks in advance.
> JT

> 5720 LBJ Fwy., Suite 470 | (972) 387-8881 | http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Dallas, TX 75240-6328    |       Fax      | PGP public key available

You have to build and install a new kernel. Change to the directory,
where the kernel sources are located on your system. Type "make
menuconfig". Now you can configure a new kernel only with these drivers
you need. Compile it and install it. The best way to do this is using
lilo and to let the old kernel available in lilo if the new one doesn't
works.
See the FAQ about configuring and building a new kernel
(http://www.veryComputer.com/).

Thomas
--
        T h o m a s   L i n d e n