Mgetty

Post by M. Buchenried » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I have mgetty on one of my systems handling ppp dialin connections. The lines
>seem to be very unstable. Users connect and the line disconnects or becomes
>stale but still alive within about 5 min. I have USR 56k modems. I have tried
>port speeds at all levels. and a couple of differnt inits for the modems.

[...]

Please show us

/etc/inittab
mgetty.config
and the mgetty logfiles, while running with -x 9 or similar .
Which USR modem are you trying to use ?

Michael

   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

Mgetty

Post by M. Buchenried » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Great. Thanks for the taking the time.
>The modems are   USR 56k external faxmodems.
>Here is a line from /etc/inittab
>s0:23:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -D -x2 /dev/ttyS0

Please change that to just

(...) mgetty -x 9 ttyS0

to get a more detailed logfile.

[...]

Quote:>Here is the mgetty log for a particular line. Notice the low connect speed.
>01/22 03:58:48 ##### data dev=ttyS0, pid=4128, caller=none,
>conn='14400/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS', name='', cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd',
>user='/AutoPPP/ '

[...]

Modem found, but bad connection. You either do have a bad phone line,
a bad serial cable or some broken modem firmware .

Michael

   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

1. mgetty question

I want to use mgetty, or rather, vgetty but still be able to dial
out. How can I do that ?
The man page says that it can be done, see info. Info says nothing
about it except that for options see the manpage. Great.
Yes, I know, see the source :-)

So, any help would be appreciated on how can I run vgetty from init
and still be able to stop it at need and fire up a pppd and chat.

The reply address is invalid, please use the one in the sig.

Thanks in advance,

Zoltan

| Reply address antispammed. Use ZOLTAN-at-BENDOR-dot-COM-dot-AU   |
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Zoltan Kocsi                   |   I don't believe in miracles   |
| Bendor Research Pty. Ltd.      |   but I rely on them.           |
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------+

2. Thread Debugger - Spec?!

3. mgetty & pppd

4. Info request (not in FAQ) for making Epson 7000 print PostScript files from Linux app

5. mgetty problem

6. Compaq P50 HEADACHE!!!

7. mgetty : autoppp username

8. Problem with XWindows/fixed font not found

9. Mgetty, autoppp and psacct

10. mgetty problems

11. mgetty passwort transmission

12. Mgetty Quirk? Please Help