SMTP Setup Question..

Post by Warren Crossfiel » Wed, 09 May 2001 00:03:22

I have a working networked Linux box at home. Setting up networking on my
cable modem was no problem, however getting SMTP to work has been a total
mystery.

I have the postfix daemon running, and a list of host names for which I
will allow relaying. I can confirm that port 25 is open, but when I telnet
to port 25 to test a smtp transaction, the server never responds. The
connection begins, but the header that is supposed to be transmitted by
the server never gets sent. And yes, I am connecting from one of the
allowed names.

I have no problem connecting to any of my other open ports (80, 21, etc..)

I have tried updating the postfix daemon, as well as the kernel and a host
of other libs that work in concert with smtp services, but to no avail.

Is there any guidance or perhaps a "How-To" out there that can explain how
to properly setup smtp services on a linux box?

Kind regards,
  Warren C.

SMTP Setup Question..

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 09 May 2001 00:11:03

Hi Warren,

Quote:> I have a working networked Linux box at home. Setting up networking on my
> cable modem was no problem, however getting SMTP to work has been a total
> mystery.

> I have the postfix daemon running, and a list of host names for which I
> will allow relaying. I can confirm that port 25 is open, but when I telnet
> to port 25 to test a smtp transaction, the server never responds. The
> connection begins, but the header that is supposed to be transmitted by
> the server never gets sent. And yes, I am connecting from one of the
> allowed names.

If you leave it for a long enough period, does it eventually respond (like 2
minutes or so).  Sometimes this delay can be caused if the SMTP server is
having problems doing a reverse IP lookup on you.  If you don't get a response
back within 2 minutes then it would seem to suggest that something else is
wrong, but if you do get a response back from the system, then I suspect it
might have something to do with the hostname.

As a test, put the IP address and hostname that you are connecting from into
the /etc/hosts file on the machine which is running postfix.  If the
connection to the daemon speeds up when connecting, then you know it is
hostname based, if it doesn't then it is something else.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. smail/smtp setup question (beginner)

I have a question about how my unix system should be handling
e-mail. I think my question is somewhat general, but if any more
information about versions, etc. is needed please e-mail me and
I'll be happy to oblige.

I have a Linux system running smail 3.1.28.1 that periodically
connects to the internet via a PPP account on netcom.

In my inetd.conf file, I have the following line:

smtp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/bin/rsmtp  -bs

My question has to do with what is neccessary to ensure that mail is
both sent and received during the time in which my system is connected
via PPP, and whether or not rsmtp is the right transport for me.

It appears that if I just leave things as they are, and don't explicitly
run smail/runq/etc. then I can receive e-mail as a result of the inetd
entry watching for incoming smtp messages. Is this correct?

Also, do I *have* to run 'runq' or some other form of smail to get my
e-mail sent out, or should something else be taking care of it? Should
I just add a 'runq' line in the script that is fired off once the PPP
connection is up? I don't want to run smail in daemon mode (smail -bd),
since most of the time the connection is down and it would just be
wasting processor time.

Any clarification of how all this works will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel A. Segel
--
Daniel A. Segel

2. Running FreeBSD without hard drive?

3. Setup Question: I want to know the best way to setup an SMTP spooler for Exchange

4. Data Storage Interrupt, Processor?

5. SMTP only listens on host.domain.com:smtp want *:smtp

6. panic cpu thread

7. RFC 3207 (SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over Transport Layer Security) - materials

8. quotas file

9. How to set sendmail SMTP auth and SMTP SSL on Solaris 9 (x86)

10. SMTP on RH 7.3 Distro, using POP and SMTP on another server

11. Smtp direct (no ISP's smtp available)

12. "Backwards" SMTP Forwarding or Transparent SMTP Proxy

13. Can anyone help me with a dial up SMTP setup ???