Linux Server for Mac

Post by digital_terroris » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

HI,
I have absolutely no experience networking Macs at all. I've been asked
if we could put a Linux mail/web/etc server in a mac office and have it
act as a server for some Power Macintrash's. Is this possible? I've seen
something mentioned about appletalk, but I've not worked with it.
If anyone could point me in a direction that might help, I'd really
appreciate it.

Mark.

Linux Server for Mac

Post by Patrick Murp » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have absolutely no experience networking Macs at all. I've been asked
> if we could put a Linux mail/web/etc server in a mac office and have it
> act as a server for some Power Macintrash's. Is this possible? I've seen
> something mentioned about appletalk, but I've not worked with it.
> If anyone could point me in a direction that might help, I'd really
> appreciate it.

Try leaving out 'Macintrash' and ask again...the people who probably have
the experience you're looking for may be less willing to help...

Linux Server for Mac

Post by digital_terroris » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> You're right, that was thoughtless, It's just habit to refer to them that
> way. Every place that I've had contact with them, they have been a
> nightmare.

> > I have absolutely no experience networking Macs at all. I've been asked
> > if we could put a Linux mail/web/etc server in a mac office and have it
> > act as a server for some Power Macintrash's. Is this possible? I've seen
> > something mentioned about appletalk, but I've not worked with it.
> > If anyone could point me in a direction that might help, I'd really
> > appreciate it.

> Try leaving out 'Macintrash' and ask again...the people who probably have
> the experience you're looking for may be less willing to help...

Linux Server for Mac

Post by J.. » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hey,

Ya know what?  I know how to do it, and until you sound a little more
sincere in your apology,

I AIN'T TELLIN

On Fri, 05 Jun 1998 12:45:06 +0000, digital_terrorist

Post by <dwhu.. » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>> I have absolutely no experience networking Macs at all. I've been asked
>> if we could put a Linux mail/web/etc server in a mac office and have it
>> act as a server for some Power Macintrash's. Is this possible? I've seen
>> something mentioned about appletalk, but I've not worked with it.
>> If anyone could point me in a direction that might help, I'd really
>> appreciate it.

>Try leaving out 'Macintrash' and ask again...the people who probably have
>the experience you're looking for may be less willing to help...

Simply, install TCP/IP protocol and internet client software to Mac and
assign IP to each Mac machine. Then you would be able to use Linux as
mail/web server.

Linux Server for Mac

Post by Saund » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

   Hey,

   Ya know what?  I know how to do it, and until you sound a little more
   sincere in your apology,

   I AIN'T TELLIN

Tsk tsk.

Netatalk, it's what you need.

As for Macintoshes, as a recovering admin, out of the SGI's, DEC,
Sun, HP, NT, Win95, PowerMac 7200 and 6200, LCIII's I've had to admin,
the PowerMacs gave me the most trouble. There's a _reason_ some people
don't like them.

--
Chris "Saundo" Saunderson