Linux VS Windows 2000 Server

Post by JP » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:05:05

I was thinking about using Win 2000 Server on a new server box to get away
from my peer to peer setup I am currently using. After looking at the cost
of it, I am considering using Linux on the server instead. There are
currently 5 machines (98 x2, 95x1, XP Prox1, and XP Homex1) making up the
PtoP setup.

Can someone tell me what advantages / disadvantages Linux would bring to the
table as opposed to using Win2000 Server? I am not very network Savvy, and
just becoming comfortable with the PtoP setup I am using now. Is there a
considerable difference in the learning curve between the two?

TIA

JP

Linux VS Windows 2000 Server

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:23:57

Quote:> I was thinking about using Win 2000 Server on a new server box to get away
> from my peer to peer setup I am currently using. After looking at the cost
> of it, I am considering using Linux on the server instead. There are
> currently 5 machines (98 x2, 95x1, XP Prox1, and XP Homex1) making up the
> PtoP setup.

> Can someone tell me what advantages / disadvantages Linux would bring to
the
> table as opposed to using Win2000 Server? I am not very network Savvy, and
> just becoming comfortable with the PtoP setup I am using now. Is there a
> considerable difference in the learning curve between the two?

> TIA

> JP

What are you trying to accomplish?  And what is the rational for making the
switch? what type of services do you want to run/support?

ken k

Post by JP » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:45:01

> > I was thinking about using Win 2000 Server on a new server box to get
away
> > from my peer to peer setup I am currently using. After looking at the
cost
> > of it, I am considering using Linux on the server instead. There are
> > currently 5 machines (98 x2, 95x1, XP Prox1, and XP Homex1) making up
the
> > PtoP setup.

> > Can someone tell me what advantages / disadvantages Linux would bring to
> the
> > table as opposed to using Win2000 Server? I am not very network Savvy,
and
> > just becoming comfortable with the PtoP setup I am using now. Is there a
> > considerable difference in the learning curve between the two?

> > TIA

> > JP

> What are you trying to accomplish?  And what is the rational for making
the
> switch? what type of services do you want to run/support?

> ken k

Ken,

It's a small home network. I am trying to get most files to a central
location  for ease of frequent backups, and am interested in tightening up
security. My business files locked down from everyone but me.

Jim

Post by muesl » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:17:51

>> > I was thinking about using Win 2000 Server on a new server box to get
> away
>> > from my peer to peer setup I am currently using. After looking at the
> cost
>> > of it, I am considering using Linux on the server instead. There are
>> > currently 5 machines (98 x2, 95x1, XP Prox1, and XP Homex1) making up
> the
>> > PtoP setup.

>> > Can someone tell me what advantages / disadvantages Linux would bring
>> the
>> > table as opposed to using Win2000 Server? I am not very network Savvy,
> and
>> > just becoming comfortable with the PtoP setup I am using now. Is there
>> > a considerable difference in the learning curve between the two?

>> > TIA

>> > JP

>> What are you trying to accomplish?  And what is the rational for making
> the
>> switch? what type of services do you want to run/support?

>> ken k

> Ken,

> It's a small home network. I am trying to get most files to a central
> location  for ease of frequent backups, and am interested in tightening up
> security. My business files locked down from everyone but me.

> Jim

hi jim,
it is difficult to help, if you don't provide exact information
about what you are going to do!
as i can see/guess you want to provide an internet-access-server
(router/nat/masquerading/firewall) and a backup/fileserver solution!

so far, so what?
if you are poor :-) and would get in win-licence-trouble linux is
the best solution to your problem. it is free, reliable and powerfull
cause of its uncountable special-solutions for very special problems.
many small tools for many special tasks. no such overhead as it comes
with windows-products, not such a resource-killer (e.g. you do not
need to install a gui...) and last but not least: an old pI or pII
machine will work just fine for your requirements!

more precise:
fileserver/printserver  ---> samba
firewall/nat            ---> iptables
internet-gateway        ---> several tools provided by suse/debian
                        for exact name see cd or documentation

hope i could inspire you for using linux!

mfg, msli

Markus Mssig                      MULTA MEDIO Informationssysteme AG
                                               Mergentheimer Str. 76a
                                                       97082 Wrzburg

http://www.multamedio.de                     Fax: +49 (0)931 79717-30

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:50:19

> > > I was thinking about using Win 2000 Server on a new server box to get
> away
> > > from my peer to peer setup I am currently using. After looking at the
> cost
> > > of it, I am considering using Linux on the server instead. There are
> > > currently 5 machines (98 x2, 95x1, XP Prox1, and XP Homex1) making up
> the
> > > PtoP setup.

> > > Can someone tell me what advantages / disadvantages Linux would bring
> > the
> > > table as opposed to using Win2000 Server? I am not very network Savvy,
> and
> > > just becoming comfortable with the PtoP setup I am using now. Is there
> > > considerable difference in the learning curve between the two?

> > > TIA

> > > JP

> > What are you trying to accomplish?  And what is the rational for making
> the
> > switch? what type of services do you want to run/support?

> > ken k

> Ken,

> It's a small home network. I am trying to get most files to a central
> location  for ease of frequent backups, and am interested in tightening up
> security. My business files locked down from everyone but me.

> Jim

You can do everything you want with Linux easily.  Sounds like your primary
function is to run it as a fileserver for windows clients.  You will need
Samba to do this.  I would also use the reiserfs file system for where you
are storing your files rather than ext2/ext3 (for performance reasons).  If
you do a lot of file transfers and large transfers, then some tweaking
should be done within your smb.conf file (part of samba).

One thing to keep in mind... 95/98 will pass their passwords in plaintext
across the wire to the smb server.  The easiest thing to do is to make sure
there is no reference to password encryption.  Win2k and XP will try to pass
their own encrypted password.  You will want to apply a registry change so
that they will send them plain text.  Alot of people miss this step for
2k/xp machines.

The reg entry is:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Para
meters]
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

If you put this text in a regular text file and name it <something>.reg, you
can just double click on it to put the entry into your machines.

***A reboot is required for this to take effect***

ken k

Post by muesl » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:00:41

>> away
>> cost
>> the

>> > the
>> and

>> > What are you trying to accomplish?  And what is the rational for making
>> the
>> > switch? what type of services do you want to run/support?

>> > ken k

>> Ken,

>> It's a small home network. I am trying to get most files to a central
>> location  for ease of frequent backups, and am interested in tightening
>> up security. My business files locked down from everyone but me.

>> Jim

> You can do everything you want with Linux easily.  Sounds like your
> primary
> function is to run it as a fileserver for windows clients.  You will need
> Samba to do this.  I would also use the reiserfs file system for where you
> are storing your files rather than ext2/ext3 (for performance reasons).
> If you do a lot of file transfers and large transfers, then some tweaking
> should be done within your smb.conf file (part of samba).

> One thing to keep in mind... 95/98 will pass their passwords in plaintext
> across the wire to the smb server.  The easiest thing to do is to make
> sure
> there is no reference to password encryption.  Win2k and XP will try to
> pass
> their own encrypted password.  You will want to apply a registry change so
> that they will send them plain text.  Alot of people miss this step for
> 2k/xp machines.

> The reg entry is:

> REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Para

Quote:> meters]
> "EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

> If you put this text in a regular text file and name it <something>.reg,
> you can just double click on it to put the entry into your machines.

> ***A reboot is required for this to take effect***

> ken k

hi kenneth,
this reg-entry is only necessary, because you have a os-mixture of
those sending plaintext-passwords and those sending encrypted ones??

i am running a samba-fileserver for two more linux-machines and one
w2k machine! it works fine without registry-change.

but what i had to do was two more entries in global section of smb.conf
which tell samba that passwords come along encrypted and where the
smb-password file lies!

i think that you have to create an smb-password for all those users
comming from nt or win2k machines cause of the encryption! isn't it???

if i am wrong, please help me to figure that out!

thank you,
greetings, msli

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:56:18

> [...]

> > ken k

> hi kenneth,
> this reg-entry is only necessary, because you have a os-mixture of
> those sending plaintext-passwords and those sending encrypted ones??

> i am running a samba-fileserver for two more linux-machines and one
> w2k machine! it works fine without registry-change.

> but what i had to do was two more entries in global section of smb.conf
> which tell samba that passwords come along encrypted and where the
> smb-password file lies!

> i think that you have to create an smb-password for all those users
> comming from nt or win2k machines cause of the encryption! isn't it???

> if i am wrong, please help me to figure that out!

> thank you,
> greetings, msli

> --
> Markus Mssig                      MULTA MEDIO Informationssysteme AG

For ease of use at home.  I use PAM for my samba passwords.  Meaning it
always pulls users/groups from the /etc/passwd and /etc/group.   This
bypasses the need to set up synchronization of those passwords to a separate
file.   By doing this, anytime a normal user changes their password via
passwd, I don't have to do anything.  This is a security risk in an
enterprise environment, but not for my home environment.

The configuration you are talking about, I would need to re-research the
information to figure that out. I would check the Samba documentation on
this configuration. I'm pretty sure it was thoroughly documented.

I remember they described the fact you had to set up a separate file and
that if you wanted to get passwd and that file to sync you had to set
something else up.

ken k

Linux VS Windows 2000 Server

Post by Gregory Cai » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 02:23:31

Win 98 uses encrypted passwords too.  The encryption tweak is only required
if you have '95 machines on the network.

Greg

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:53:17

> Win 98 uses encrypted passwords too.  The encryption tweak is only
required
> if you have '95 machines on the network.

> Greg

> get
> > > away
> the
> > > cost
> up
> > > the

> bring
> Savvy,
> > > and
> there

> making
> > > the

> > > Ken,

> > > It's a small home network. I am trying to get most files to a central
> > > location  for ease of frequent backups, and am interested in
tightening
> up
> > > security. My business files locked down from everyone but me.

> > > Jim

> > You can do everything you want with Linux easily.  Sounds like your
> primary
> > function is to run it as a fileserver for windows clients.  You will
need
> > Samba to do this.  I would also use the reiserfs file system for where
you
> > are storing your files rather than ext2/ext3 (for performance reasons).
> If
> > you do a lot of file transfers and large transfers, then some tweaking
> > should be done within your smb.conf file (part of samba).

> > One thing to keep in mind... 95/98 will pass their passwords in
plaintext
> > across the wire to the smb server.  The easiest thing to do is to make
> sure
> > there is no reference to password encryption.  Win2k and XP will try to
> pass
> > their own encrypted password.  You will want to apply a registry change
so
> > that they will send them plain text.  Alot of people miss this step for
> > 2k/xp machines.

> > The reg entry is:

> > REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Para

Quote:> > meters]
> > "EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

> > If you put this text in a regular text file and name it <something>.reg,
> you
> > can just double click on it to put the entry into your machines.

> > ***A reboot is required for this to take effect***

> > ken k

That would be 98 Second Edition right? First edition behaves like 95.
ken k

Linux VS Windows 2000 Server

Post by Gregory Cai » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:52:05

All:

My apologies if I've misinformed.  Was not aware that 98 1st used
unencrypted passwords, thought it was the same as SE.

Again apologies!

Greg

> > Win 98 uses encrypted passwords too.  The encryption tweak is only
> required
> > if you have '95 machines on the network.

> > Greg

> > get
> > the
> are
making
> > up

> > bring
> > Savvy,
> > there

> > making

> tightening
> > up

> > > You can do everything you want with Linux easily.  Sounds like your
> > primary
> > > function is to run it as a fileserver for windows clients.  You will
> need
> > > Samba to do this.  I would also use the reiserfs file system for where
> you
> > > are storing your files rather than ext2/ext3 (for performance
reasons).
> > If
> > > you do a lot of file transfers and large transfers, then some tweaking
> > > should be done within your smb.conf file (part of samba).

> > > One thing to keep in mind... 95/98 will pass their passwords in
> plaintext
> > > across the wire to the smb server.  The easiest thing to do is to make
> > sure
> > > there is no reference to password encryption.  Win2k and XP will try
> > pass
> > > their own encrypted password.  You will want to apply a registry
change
> so
> > > that they will send them plain text.  Alot of people miss this step
for
> > > 2k/xp machines.

> > > The reg entry is:

> > > REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Para

Quote:> > > meters]

Post by JP » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:24:26

> >> the
Savvy,
> > and

> >> What are you trying to accomplish?  And what is the rational for making
> > the
> >> switch? what type of services do you want to run/support?

> >> ken k

> > Ken,

> > It's a small home network. I am trying to get most files to a central
> > location  for ease of frequent backups, and am interested in tightening
up
> > security. My business files locked down from everyone but me.

> > Jim

> hi jim,
> it is difficult to help, if you don't provide exact information
> about what you are going to do!
> as i can see/guess you want to provide an internet-access-server
> (router/nat/masquerading/firewall) and a backup/fileserver solution!

> so far, so what?
> if you are poor :-) and would get in win-licence-trouble linux is
> the best solution to your problem. it is free, reliable and powerfull
> cause of its uncountable special-solutions for very special problems.
> many small tools for many special tasks. no such overhead as it comes
> with windows-products, not such a resource-killer (e.g. you do not
> need to install a gui...) and last but not least: an old pI or pII
> machine will work just fine for your requirements!

> more precise:
> fileserver/printserver  ---> samba
> firewall/nat            ---> iptables
> internet-gateway        ---> several tools provided by suse/debian
>                         for exact name see cd or documentation

> hope i could inspire you for using linux!

> mfg, msli

> --
> Markus Mssig                      MULTA MEDIO Informationssysteme AG
>                                                Mergentheimer Str. 76a
>                                                        97082 Wrzburg

> http://www.multamedio.de                     Fax: +49 (0)931 79717-30

Markus,

I already have the internet access solved using a Sonic Wall hardware
firewall and a 8 port hub. I assume that would stay the same? Or would I
have to run all access through the server box?