Linux and Win2k ICS

Post by Nicholas Klei » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:39:38

I have a Windows 2000 Professional box setup with two ethernet cards with
one of those cards connected to the Internet and the other connected to my
network.  I am running internet connection sharing on that box.

I just setup another computer with Mandrake Linux 8.1, however I cannot get
it to connect to the Internet through my Win2k box.  I am able to ping the
IP address of the network card connected to my network in my Win2k box, but
am unable to ping the IP address of the card connected to the Internet.

I have setup a static IP address on the Linux box and entered the IP address
of my Win2k box as the default gateway and as the DNS server.  I am able to
do nslookup's and find IP address for different websites, like
www.google.com, but I am unable to ping those IP addresses.  All I get is
the message "Network unreachable."

I've been playing around with this for awhile and haven't gotten anywhere.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Linux and Win2k ICS

Post by Hank » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:44:52

Quote:> I have setup a static IP address on the Linux box and entered the IP
address
> of my Win2k box as the default gateway and as the DNS server.

Unless you are running a caching name server on the win2k box wouldn't you
need to enter your isp's dns servers?

Linux and Win2k ICS

Post by dave » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:25:37

Quote:> I have a Windows 2000 Professional box setup with two ethernet cards with
> one of those cards connected to the Internet and the other connected to my
> network.  I am running internet connection sharing on that box.

> I just setup another computer with Mandrake Linux 8.1, however I cannot
get
> it to connect to the Internet through my Win2k box.  I am able to ping the
> IP address of the network card connected to my network in my Win2k box,
but
> am unable to ping the IP address of the card connected to the Internet.

> I have setup a static IP address on the Linux box and entered the IP
address
> of my Win2k box as the default gateway and as the DNS server.  I am able
> do nslookup's and find IP address for different websites, like
> www.google.com, but I am unable to ping those IP addresses.  All I get is
> the message "Network unreachable."

> I've been playing around with this for awhile and haven't gotten anywhere.
> Any help would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Nick

Network unreachable?  I would suggest looking at the route table of your
Linux box.  Make sure you have the gateway setup correctly.  If so, do a
traceroute and see where the route dies.

dave

Linux and Win2k ICS

Post by Cyberbea » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:55:36

> I have a Windows 2000 Professional box setup with two ethernet cards
> with one of those cards connected to the Internet and the other
> connected to my network.  I am running internet connection sharing on
> that box.

> I just setup another computer with Mandrake Linux 8.1, however I cannot
> get it to connect to the Internet through my Win2k box.  I am able to
> ping the IP address of the network card connected to my network in my
> Win2k box, but am unable to ping the IP address of the card connected to
> the Internet.

> I have setup a static IP address on the Linux box and entered the IP
> address of my Win2k box as the default gateway and as the DNS server.  I
> am able to do nslookup's and find IP address for different websites,
> like www.google.com, but I am unable to ping those IP addresses.  All I
> get is the message "Network unreachable."

> I've been playing around with this for awhile and haven't gotten
> anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Nick

The easiest way to do this is to set up your linux machine to get its IP
information from the W2K machine via DHCP. BTW, you set up ICS on the NIC
connected to the internet, right? When you do that, Windows will set the
card for the internal LAN to 192.168.0.1, and the other client computers
should fall into that range (which is automatic if you use DHCP). If you
use DHCP you will not have to worry about setting gateway addresses or
DNS server addresses. Generally speaking, if you don't use DHCP, the
gateway address you put on
the client would be 192.168.0.1 and the DNS server addresses will be your
ISPs DNS servers addresses.

Good luck!

1. Win2k ICS to use with linux (Knoppix)

Hi,

i have ICS running with a Win2k computer linked to my ADSL-Modem in a
3-computer network.

Under Windows all computers in the network access internet via ICS
(Internet-Connection-Sharing, which is a wonderful thing for windows).

Now I ask myself, if this ICS is something like a proxy for the computer
running linux.

I can access (ping) the computer like 192.168.0.1 from the linux-computer.

But is there a way to access internet via the 192.168.0.1-computer?.

I already tried to set 192.168.0.1 as proxy to Konquerer (Knoppix
distributed Web-Browser) but that didnt work (sure - but i tried because i
dont know if this ICS works like a proxy).

Is there a way to use the Win2k ICS for the linux-computer or do i have to
install a proxy for Win2k-ADSL-computer.

Greg

(Please send a copy of your reply as email - tnx)

2. ppp using null modem

3. Accessing the Internet thru an ICS-enabled Win2K Pro box.

4. joliet extensions in FreeBSD 4.2

5. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) w/Win2K & Solaris 8 Intel

6. Adaptec AVA-1515 SCSI controller and HP 4c scanner

7. Mandrake 9 Simple Networking to Win2K & ICS

8. Anyone using Microport System V rel 4 ?

9. Vmware: Linux on Win2K or Win2K on Linux?

10. In article <3p81ut$659@condor.ic.net>, craig@falcon.ic.net (Craig Maloney) writes:

11. win2k + linux: how to boot from win2k os loader

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [1/1]