FTP server without DNS ??

Post by dauria » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I'd like to set up an FTP server with a different name than my hostname
which
was assigned to me. (I'm on a large private network). And I have no
access
to the DNS of my network.
But I know that under Windows, we can emmulate an FTP server with
any names and I can log on them with my linux machine.
Is there a matter of Netbios or something like this, but I'm sure you'll
tell me
Linux can do what Windows can do in networking!
(I precise that I can't tell everybody to point also to a DNS server I
could set up)

Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance

FTP server without DNS ??

Post by Duncan Simps » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I'd like to set up an FTP server with a different name than my hostname
>which
>was assigned to me. (I'm on a large private network). And I have no
>access
>to the DNS of my network.

This will be a problem.

Quote:>But I know that under Windows, we can emmulate an FTP server with
>any names and I can log on them with my linux machine.
>Is there a matter of Netbios or something like this, but I'm sure you'll
>tell me
>Linux can do what Windows can do in networking!

The FTP protocols knows nothing about host names and FTP clients only
use them as friendly versions of IP numbers. Window may allow you to
hack the banner but this gets you nowhere. Some versions of ftpd can
do virtual servers on a host with multiple sets of IP numbers (it
figures out which virtual host you are talking to via the IP numbers).

If you want to name youer ftp server foo.bar.com you need to get
foo.bar.com resolving to an appropiate set of IP numbers. Generally
this requires you to be able to twiddle the zone on a master DNS
server.

Quote:>(I precise that I can't tell everybody to point also to a DNS server I
>could set up)

Short answer: no.

Longer answer:
You could but getting people to use that DNS server would be though
unless you can get appropiate NS records pointing at it. Otherwise a
recursive DNS lookup will find use whatever servers the NS records
suggest they try instead. Even changing the nameservers most things
use on many systems is not trivial (I do not have write permission to
/etc/resolv.conf on this box, for example).
--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is

1. if DNS server was Windows based what DNS server software is avail?

WSM> And what is "Unices" ;)

JdeBP> I assume that the emoticon indicates disingenuousness on your part.
JdeBP> After all, a 10 second search of the World Wide Web with one's favourite
JdeBP> search engine will turn up a definition of [the] word, and anyone as
JdeBP> proficient with English as yourself and who deals with computers will
JdeBP> have undoubtedly long since encountered the plurals of words such as
JdeBP> "index" and "matrix".

KDGS> Maybe your understanding of the English language is the problem, [...]
KDGS> The plural for Unix is still Unix.

Take the 10 seconds and perform the search.  You'll find plenty of
people telling you what the accepted plural is, and that that isn't
it.  Or read the "comp.unix.questions" FAQ document.

2. Intel RH Linux on Mac with VPC?

3. NT dns server request to my LINUX dns server time out

4. ** Trouble with DEBIAN install **

5. using DNS server(named) and external dns server.

6. FDisk error

7. Mail Server without DNS NAME

8. Apache Webserver Configuration(problem)

9. send mail without DNS server

10. mail server without dns name..

11. squid proxy-server without DNS

12. ftp server using chroot without anonymous account

13. How to set up my own server (www,ftp,mail,dns)?