Diff b/t conf.modules and modules.conf

Post by t.. » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00

What the heck is the difference between these 2 files? (conf.modules and modules.conf)

thanks.

Post by Scott Nold » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> What the heck is the difference between these 2 files? (conf.modules and modules.conf)

> thanks.

modules.conf keeps a naming convention of <service>.conf.  Notice every
service configuration has a .conf extension except for conf.modules.
modules.conf is used in the more recent versions of modutils.  If ever a
config tool creates a conf.modules, copy the changes to modules.conf.

- Scott
--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde

glaze!                       |

Post by t.. » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

: modules.conf keeps a naming convention of <service>.conf.  Notice every
: service configuration has a .conf extension except for conf.modules.
: modules.conf is used in the more recent versions of modutils.  If ever a
: config tool creates a conf.modules, copy the changes to modules.conf.

Everytime the file conf.modules is present, on bootup I get a message which basically says:

"get rid of conf.modules as soon as possible by typing 'rm conf.modules'"

I guess you answered my question! thanks.

1. conf.modules vs. modules.conf & modules.dep??

Just upgraded my RH6.2 box to kernel 2.2.18 (in conjunction with
applying vpn masq patch).  Now I notice that it complains about
conf.modules, so I renamed this to conf.modules.old and made a copy as
modules.conf.  Now it complains that modules.conf is newer than
modules.dep.  And, in any case, it doesn't seem to load my modules
(specifically 3c509.o for ethernet).

My present workaround is just to manually invoke this module (modprobe
3c509) and restart /etc/rc.d/init.d/network (as well as dhcpd and
named), but I know there's gotta be a "Right Way" of doing this.

What's different between 2.2.18 and my old kernel (2.2.14-5.0) in
terms of handling these files?  And, more importantly, how do I
correct this situation?  Many thanks, in advance.

2. Slower machine after moving

3. conf.modules & modules.conf

4. XFree86 with a Diamond Stealth Pro

5. deleted isapnp.conf and conf.modules

6. Slow MO Drive

7. Include conf/addon-modules/midgardphp3.conf

8. flickering white lines

9. editing modules.conf to load sound driver modules

10. Note: conf.modules more recent that /usr/src/linux*/modules.dep message

11. ppp module in conf.modules

12. serial module options for conf.modules

13. SCSI module insert using /etc/conf.modules problem