curious mailing problem

Post by Francis Presslan » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:48:13

Hi!

I have just set up a small home network with a linux server routing my mail
accounts from the various ISP's I have collected over the years!! my Windows
PC and my iBook poll the server, which is set up using the 192.168.1.x
addresses. I can send and receive mail with outlook express in the iBook and
the WIndows PC by logging into the server and I have 192.168.1.1 (server
address) as pop3 and smtp in outlook express. Everything works fine this
way. However if I try to use mail in the server to send a message it seems
to send OK but never arrives at the external address I send it to, but
internal mail to users does work. Here are the transcripts of sendmail for
the two different sitations:

1.) the SUCESSFULL method via outlook express from the WIN PC or the iBook

--------------------------------
(logged in with su)
tony:/home/fpress # sendmail -v -q

Running /var/spool/mqueue/g6HLvWuf005170 (sequence 1 of 1)

220 fmrl01.sul.t-online.com T-Online ESMTP receiver fsmtpd ready.

Quote:>>> EHLO tony.boris

250-fmrl01.sul.t-online.com ready.
250-SIZE 33554432
250-8BITMIME
250 HELP

250 Ok.

250 Ok.
>>> DATA

354 Ok, start with data.
Quote:>>> .

250 Message accepted.

Closing connection to fmrlallmx.t-online.com.
Quote:>>> QUIT

221 fmrl01.sul.t-online.com closing.

2.) the UNSUCESSFULL method from my server.

--------------------------------------
(logged in with su)
tony:/home/fpress # sendmail -v -q

Running /var/spool/mqueue/g6HLtPuf005150 (sequence 1 of 1)

220 fmrl11.sul.t-online.com T-Online ESMTP receiver fsmtpd ready.

Quote:>>> EHLO tony.boris

250-fmrl11.sul.t-online.com ready.
250-SIZE 33554432
250-8BITMIME
250 HELP

250 Ok.

250 Ok.
>>> DATA

354 Ok, start with data.
Quote:>>> .

250 Message accepted.

Closing connection to fmrlallmx.t-online.com.
Quote:>>> QUIT

221 fmrl11.sul.t-online.com closing.

the only apparent difference is in the MAIL From line, and I am assuming

problem.

Any pointers to what to do next would be welcome

Thanks

Frank

curious mailing problem

Post by Yuan Li » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:20:55

> Hi!

> I have just set up a small home network with a linux server routing my mail
> accounts from the various ISP's I have collected over the years!! my Windows
> PC and my iBook poll the server, which is set up using the 192.168.1.x
> addresses. I can send and receive mail with outlook express in the iBook and
> the WIndows PC by logging into the server and I have 192.168.1.1 (server
> address) as pop3 and smtp in outlook express. Everything works fine this
> way. However if I try to use mail in the server to send a message it seems
> to send OK but never arrives at the external address I send it to, but
> internal mail to users does work. Here are the transcripts of sendmail for
> the two different sitations:

> 1.) the SUCESSFULL method via outlook express from the WIN PC or the iBook

> --------------------------------
> (logged in with su)
> tony:/home/fpress # sendmail -v -q

> Running /var/spool/mqueue/g6HLvWuf005170 (sequence 1 of 1)

> 220 fmrl01.sul.t-online.com T-Online ESMTP receiver fsmtpd ready.

> 250-fmrl01.sul.t-online.com ready.
> 250-SIZE 33554432
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250 HELP

> 250 Ok.

> 250 Ok.

> 354 Ok, start with data.

> 250 Message accepted.

> Closing connection to fmrlallmx.t-online.com.

> 221 fmrl01.sul.t-online.com closing.

> 2.) the UNSUCESSFULL method from my server.

> --------------------------------------
> (logged in with su)
> tony:/home/fpress # sendmail -v -q

> Running /var/spool/mqueue/g6HLtPuf005150 (sequence 1 of 1)

> 220 fmrl11.sul.t-online.com T-Online ESMTP receiver fsmtpd ready.

> 250-fmrl11.sul.t-online.com ready.
> 250-SIZE 33554432
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250 HELP

> 250 Ok.

> 250 Ok.

> 354 Ok, start with data.

> 250 Message accepted.

> Closing connection to fmrlallmx.t-online.com.

> 221 fmrl11.sul.t-online.com closing.

> the only apparent difference is in the MAIL From line, and I am assuming

> problem.

 From line doesn't matter, unless the recepient has some filters set up
to dump your mail.  You didn't explain what happened after the mail was
sent.  From the dialogue, 221 fmrl11.sul.t-online.com absolutely has
received the message - if anything, it's either in the MDA or MUA on the
other side.

Yuan Liu

Quote:> Any pointers to what to do next would be welcome

> Thanks

> Frank

curious mailing problem

Post by M. Buchenriede » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:08:49

[...]

               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A valid address.

               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[...]

An invalid one.

>the only apparent difference is in the MAIL From line, and I am assuming

>problem.

Your problem is the fact that you're trying to abuse the internal
t-online server as a mail relay with an invalid MAIL FROM header -
which the server will silently drop.

Quote:>Any pointers to what to do next would be welcome

[...]

Stop spamming? Seriously, I don't know what you are trying to achieve
here, but the T-Online server will not let you do that.

Michael

1. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails

I used to receive data in mail from users. I used to read those data
and load that into a ORACLE table. However I am not able to delete
those mails after reading and loading it.

Currently I delete them manually when the mail file grow very big

Is there a way we can delete these mails after we read it using shell
script ?

2. Trapping a command

3. Curious problem with /etc/environment and su

4. Newbie: EZ question about dir structure

5. Curious X problem

6. IPChans vs IPF and 2.4

7. Curious problem with top

8. Any trn wizards out there? -- attempt 2

9. Curious problem...

10. curious tcp/ip problem

11. curious route problem

12. Curious wu-ftpd Problem