Performance Measurement on the WAN

Post by Chongman Ki » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to find a way to measure the actual thruput of the WAN.  For
example, I have two networks connected via frame relay or even a
dedicaed facility at 64K - 512K.  How can I measure the actual data
thruput over the link?

I heard there is a small utility which tries to pump out data as much as
possible on a given link, and some every 15 minutes, it takes a
measurement to see how much data actually went through at certain
speed.   Do I make sense?

Can someone enlight me on this?

Thanks in advance

Chongman Kim

Post by Mike Ireto » Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I am trying to find a way to measure the actual thruput of the WAN.  For
> example, I have two networks connected via frame relay or even a
> dedicaed facility at 64K - 512K.  How can I measure the actual data
> thruput over the link?

> I heard there is a small utility which tries to pump out data as much as
> possible on a given link, and some every 15 minutes, it takes a
> measurement to see how much data actually went through at certain
> speed.   Do I make sense?

> Can someone enlight me on this?

> Thanks in advance

> Chongman Kim

I use a tool called 'netperf' which seems to do a very good job of
quantifying the peformance of my wireless network. I've also used it across
the internet to discover how our VPN customers will fare between different
points and service providers. Check it out at:
 http://www.netperf.org/netperf/NetperfPage.html

--
Mike Ireton
Network Systems Manager

1. performance measurement tools

I would like to characterize our product on Solaris 2.6 and 2.7
(and/or UW7). I am looking for a good set of public domain tools
and/or 3rd party products that would provide various counters at
cpu, memory usage, IO stats etc for an application (aggregate level)
and set of libraries (at function-by-function level). Our libraries are
a combination of C and C++ modules. Utility like vtune (from Intel)
for NT would be great.

Vipul Patel

2. Solaris Client for MSSQL?

3. performance measurement for Pentium CPU

4. Anyone Gotten STB Lightspeed Working at 16bpp???

5. Help:Performance measurements

6. Samba 2.06 and win98 second edition ?

7. Performance measurements for Linux on PowerPC?

8. x server authentication and hostname

9. Process Group Performance Measurement

10. Looking for performance measurement tools

11. performance measurements across 8 platforms: atoi()/sprintf("%d")

12. Performance measurement via vmstat puzzling

13. performance measurements on unix-systems (V.3 680X0)