1. Mini-Linux Distribution Questions + General Questions + UMSDOS Questions
Basically I have recently installed the Mini-Linux distribution (from
sunsite.unc.edu) on my box (486 66, 12Mb, Limited HDD space), and it
works and installs fine, runs fine.... Great I thought, lets install
on several other PC's - Install on another 486d266 - won't even start
- LOADLIN doesn't even begin decompressing the kernal......
Then try a 486dx4100, this time it decompresses kernal and starts
linux startup, and comes up with a HDD sector size too big (its a
544Mb drive) and says "Giving up"..... Linux doesn't start at all.
Anyone else got an experience with this (the mini-linux distribution
is 1.0.9 kernal I think)
Next On the PC that mini-linux runs on, X won't start - cannot start
my graphics card (its an Advance Logic card, Vesa compatible). Anyone
know how to fix this?
I run mini-linux for several reasons, the main one being the lack of
HDD space (I have 20Mb free without mini-linux, 0.5Mb with), howver I
have heard that the latest distributions include UMSDOS, so now onto
the UMSDOS questions:
Which kernal works best with UMSDOS, and will fit in 20Mb, with the
majority of data residing on CD?
Do the latest linux kernals support a SB16 and panasonic double speed
CD? Also are NEC drives supported (a mate has one of these)
Basically I cannot delete my DOS partition, as my family cannot use
linux to save their lives, and love MS word, so I need UMSDOS, so both
can happily reside on one partition (I don't want to partition)
Also does UMSDOS have any problem booting off a d: drive (I am
installing another 100Mb drive to try to alleviate the space problem)
Right thats it......
Thanks for your help and I apologize for the bad spelling in some
places (my software don't spell check).
IMPORTANT: My news feed is knackered, so can replyies be by mail as
well as news please?
Dan (Linux newbie)
2. How to use complete in tcsh?
3. Questions, questions questions
4. Newbie: Boot Menu Vanity
5. 3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question
6. Mouse and Video under DOSEMU
7. Questions Questions Questions ???
8. How: who's using file?
9. Questions, Questions, and more Questions..
10. 3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question
11. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)
12. sar Question (probably a newbie question)
13. A followup question to "A C question (about strlen)"