eth0 hangs

Post by Allen Ston » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 16:48:35

I'm new at Linux, and I'm having a problem with my network.  I have Linux
6.1.    I was doing fine until I started messing around with the network
settings, and I was also messing with Samba; but, I don't think Samba is the
problem.   I can ping my local computers, but I can't reach the Internet.
First of all, I think I changed my local host name.  Although in the reboot,
it now say "Setting hostname localhost.localdomain".  What I seen before I

different when I could see the internet.  When I bring up Netscape, I get an
error message that says it can't find the host.  I tried to reboot and it
hung, so I took the NIC out and rebooted.  Then put the NIC back in and it
booted fine.  Now I get an error message when I do the ./S10network restart
command.  I get the error message "RTL8139 Interrupt line blocked, status 5.
Determining IP information for eth0....Operation failed."  I have a router
that is setup for DHCP; all setting on it are the same as when I could reach
the Internet.  I did change the DHCP settings on the linux box, but I
changed it back to what it was before - DHCP enabled.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm just learning
Linux networking so any links that would give me a better understanding of
Linux would be appreciated also.

Thanks,
Stoney

--
Stoney

eth0 hangs

Post by Allen Ston » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:07:01

An update.   Now I can't ping the computers on my network.

--
Stoney

> I'm new at Linux, and I'm having a problem with my network.  I have Linux
> 6.1.    I was doing fine until I started messing around with the network
> settings, and I was also messing with Samba; but, I don't think Samba is
the
> problem.   I can ping my local computers, but I can't reach the Internet.
> First of all, I think I changed my local host name.  Although in the
reboot,
> it now say "Setting hostname localhost.localdomain".  What I seen before I

> different when I could see the internet.  When I bring up Netscape, I get
an
> error message that says it can't find the host.  I tried to reboot and it
> hung, so I took the NIC out and rebooted.  Then put the NIC back in and it
> booted fine.  Now I get an error message when I do the ./S10network
restart
> command.  I get the error message "RTL8139 Interrupt line blocked, status
5.
> Determining IP information for eth0....Operation failed."  I have a router
> that is setup for DHCP; all setting on it are the same as when I could
reach
> the Internet.  I did change the DHCP settings on the linux box, but I
> changed it back to what it was before - DHCP enabled.

> Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm just learning
> Linux networking so any links that would give me a better understanding of
> Linux would be appreciated also.

> Thanks,
> Stoney

> --
> Stoney

eth0 hangs

Post by jkoest.. » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:17:35

Allen,
   It appears we may be having a similar problem.  I too am new to
linux, so I do not know if I can be of any assisstance, but I would just
like to ask that if you get any good leads on where to head with this
problem, keep me informed.  I am using the Linksys BEFSR41 cable/dsl
router with ADSL.  I have never gotten the DHCP to work off of this
router into linux.  It has always worked fine with Win98 and Win2000 on
this machine and others on my network.  However, in linux, I have always
gotten the "... Operation failed." message you described.  I have not
had the troubles with the ethernet card* though.  By chance, what
NIC are you using.  I am using the SMC 1211, which uses the rtl8139
module as well.  Perhaps there is a problem with the module.  Please,
keep me informed.  I am out to buy at least one linux book tomorrow, so
maybe I can figure this out.  Good luck and thanks for any help you can
provide.

Jason

> An update.   Now I can't ping the computers on my network.

> --
> Stoney

> > I'm new at Linux, and I'm having a problem with my network.  I have
Linux
> > 6.1.    I was doing fine until I started messing around with the
network
> > settings, and I was also messing with Samba; but, I don't think
Samba is
> the
> > problem.   I can ping my local computers, but I can't reach the
Internet.
> > First of all, I think I changed my local host name.  Although in the
> reboot,
> > it now say "Setting hostname localhost.localdomain".  What I seen
before I

this was
> > different when I could see the internet.  When I bring up Netscape,
I get
> an
> > error message that says it can't find the host.  I tried to reboot
and it
> > hung, so I took the NIC out and rebooted.  Then put the NIC back in
and it
> > booted fine.  Now I get an error message when I do the ./S10network
> restart
> > command.  I get the error message "RTL8139 Interrupt line blocked,
status
> 5.
> > Determining IP information for eth0....Operation failed."  I have a
router
> > that is setup for DHCP; all setting on it are the same as when I
could
> reach
> > the Internet.  I did change the DHCP settings on the linux box, but
> > changed it back to what it was before - DHCP enabled.

> > Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm just
learning
> > Linux networking so any links that would give me a better
understanding of
> > Linux would be appreciated also.

> > Thanks,
> > Stoney

> > --
> > Stoney

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Eth0 Hangs on reboot/halt????

I've got a linux box connected to the net via a cable modem /w dhcp.  It
routes my home LAN so it stays up and running for weeks between
reboots/halts.  When it has been up and running for more than a half a day
it will not shut down eth0, however.  It just hangs there and I end up
having to do a hard reboot and let it check the disk for errors.  I really
hate doing this but there's no other way to do it.  If the box has only been
up a few hours everything works fine.  Any suggestions?

2. NNTP Newsreading Question..

3. eth0 hangs

4. Interface configuration

5. Shutting down eth0 hangs machine

6. COMPAQ Presario 1425

7. eth0 hangs ppp... modem/nic conflict?

8. tomcat

9. RS/6000 43P-133: System hangs when shutting down eth0

10. Mandrake 8.1 shutdown hangs on shutting down interface eth0 (?)

11. system hangs on 'ifup eth0'

12. help: Rehat 6.1 install hangs on eth0

13. Hanging on startup at eth0