slow connection between win98 and linux?

slow connection between win98 and linux?

Post by Mike Egglest » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:56:58

I have my linux box as the router for my home network and the windows
boxes pull stuff quickly from the net and all is fine (though it is
windows), but when I ftp (scp) something from linux->windows it moves
very slowly. The login time is quick as the linux box is resolving
the windows reverse ip, but the actual data transfer is slow.

Any ideas?

Mike

slow connection between win98 and linux?

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:30:30

Hi!,

Quote:> I have my linux box as the router for my home network and the windows
> boxes pull stuff quickly from the net and all is fine (though it is
> windows), but when I ftp (scp) something from linux->windows it moves
> very slowly. The login time is quick as the linux box is resolving
> the windows reverse ip, but the actual data transfer is slow.

Check to make sure that all the machines are speaking the same speed and that
they are all running the right duplex settings.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Post by Mike Egglest » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:01:41

> Hi!,

>> I have my linux box as the router for my home network and the windows
>> boxes pull stuff quickly from the net and all is fine (though it is
>> windows), but when I ftp (scp) something from linux->windows it moves
>> very slowly. The login time is quick as the linux box is resolving
>> the windows reverse ip, but the actual data transfer is slow.

> Check to make sure that all the machines are speaking the same speed and that
> they are all running the right duplex settings.

Sorry, should have mentioned that all the machines are talking through a 10Mb
hub. The hub can handle full-duplex and is talking FD with the hub. The linux
box is doing the same. That is, I think it is doing the same. How do I check
the settings of the nic card?

Mike

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:13:55

Hi!,

Quote:> >> I have my linux box as the router for my home network and the windows
> >> boxes pull stuff quickly from the net and all is fine (though it is
> >> windows), but when I ftp (scp) something from linux->windows it moves
> >> very slowly. The login time is quick as the linux box is resolving
> >> the windows reverse ip, but the actual data transfer is slow.

> > Check to make sure that all the machines are speaking the same speed and
> > that they are all running the right duplex settings.

> Sorry, should have mentioned that all the machines are talking through a
> 10Mb hub. The hub can handle full-duplex and is talking FD with the hub.
> The linux box is doing the same. That is, I think it is doing the same. How
> do I check the settings of the nic card?

It really does depend on the card as to whether or not it is doing that.  You
can try a program called mii-diag but I am not sure whether it is generally
available or whether it works for some cards and not others.  If possible, you
might like to disable all of your full duplexing across the broad and see
whether or not that solves the problem (at least you could disable it as a
trial).

See ya

Dean Thompson

slow connection between win98 and linux?

Post by Magnu » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:29:56

This is interesting. I know very little about FD/HD in linux. mii-tool shows
this:

eth1: no autonegotiation, 10baseT-HD, link ok
  product info: National DP83840A rev 1
  basic mode:   autonegotiation enabled
  basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
  capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
  advertising:  100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
  link partner: 10baseT-HD

Does that mean that I speek 10Mbit half duplex to the router? How do I
change it to full?

--
Magnus Frostlid

Quote:

> Hi!,

> > > Check to make sure that all the machines are speaking the same speed
and
> > > that they are all running the right duplex settings.

> > Sorry, should have mentioned that all the machines are talking through a
> > 10Mb hub. The hub can handle full-duplex and is talking FD with the hub.
> > The linux box is doing the same. That is, I think it is doing the same.
How
> > do I check the settings of the nic card?

> It really does depend on the card as to whether or not it is doing that.
You
> can try a program called mii-diag but I am not sure whether it is
generally
> available or whether it works for some cards and not others.  If possible,
you
> might like to disable all of your full duplexing across the broad and see
> whether or not that solves the problem (at least you could disable it as a
> trial).

> See ya

> Dean Thompson

> --

> | Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180
|
> | PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>
|
> | School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)
|
> | MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077
|
> | Melbourne, Australia       |

slow connection between win98 and linux?

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 22:24:01

Hi!,

Quote:> This is interesting. I know very little about FD/HD in linux. mii-tool
> shows this:

> eth1: no autonegotiation, 10baseT-HD, link ok
>   product info: National DP83840A rev 1
>   basic mode:   autonegotiation enabled
>   basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
>   capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
>   advertising:  100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
>   link partner: 10baseT-HD

> Does that mean that I speek 10Mbit half duplex to the router? How do I
> change it to full?

To me it looks like your HUB can only speak 10BaseT with Half Duplex.  You
might actually have to slow your network card down or configure your hub to
the right speed.  However, I am not sure whether HUBS can actually have their
speeds defined or whether they are auto-sense.  It depends on the HUB.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

Here is my home/office setup:

Machine 1: SUSE 6.0 set up as a simple file server using Samba 2.x.
Machine 2: Win98
Connected via FastEthernet.

If I copy a directory (~300MB) from Win98 to Linux box via Samba takes about 6 minutes... if I go the other way, takes 96 minutes!

I have both hosts/ips pointing to each other in their respective hosts files so DNS should not be a problem.

I'm still new at this so any help would be appreciated.

- Mark

2. FreeBSD and Linux

3. Samba connection slow in Linux-Win98 LAN

4. Low Price Cigarettes AKA the spam problem.

5. Slow linux <--> Win98 Connection

6. log a user's inbound/outbound mail?

7. Slow linux-win98-samba connection

8. Capturing data from a DirectoryMatch

9. Fast linux-windows connection, slow linux-linux connection??

10. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

11. Networking Linux-Win98 Slow

12. repost: slow linux, fast win98 ftp

13. Slow networking between win98 box and linux box