installing two network adapter cards

Post by Ed Tutt » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

i would like to install a second network adaptor card but when linux boots and
does the ne*000 probe it finds only the first one.
what do i have to do to get 2 adapter cards running on 2 different ip
addresses - i guess on /dev/eth0 and /dev/eth1???
thanks
ed tuttle
navigator technologies
norcross ga.

Post by Paul Gortmak » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>i would like to install a second network adaptor card but when linux boots and
>does the ne*000 probe it finds only the first one.
>what do i have to do to get 2 adapter cards running on 2 different ip
>addresses - i guess on /dev/eth0 and /dev/eth1???

I'd suggest having a look at the FAQ section in the Ethernet-HowTo. In there
you will find that /dev/eth* aren't used, and also the answer to using
more than one ethercard.

Paul.

Post by gra » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: i would like to install a second network adaptor card but when linux boots and
: does the ne*000 probe it finds only the first one.
: what do i have to do to get 2 adapter cards running on 2 different ip
: addresses - i guess on /dev/eth0 and /dev/eth1???
: thanks
: ed tuttle
: navigator technologies
: norcross ga.

To quote the Ethernet HOWTO:

The Ethernet-Howto covers what cards you should and shouldn't buy; how
to set them up, how to run more than one, and other common problems
and questions. It contains detailed information on the current level
of support for all of the most common ethernet cards available.

Ward Griffiths

Post by Geoff Sho » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: i would like to install a second network adaptor card but when linux boots and
: does the ne*000 probe it finds only the first one.
: what do i have to do to get 2 adapter cards running on 2 different ip
: addresses - i guess on /dev/eth0 and /dev/eth1???

You need to tell the kernel to probe for more than one card.  Try adding
the line
        append = "ether=0,0,eth1"
to your lilo.conf file.

This is covered in the Linux Multiple Ethernet mini-HOWTO, from
your local sunsite mirror.

        Geoff

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

installing two network adapter cards

Post by Geoff Sho » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: >

: > : i would like to install a second network adaptor card
: >
: > This is covered in the Linux Multiple Ethernet mini-HOWTO, from
: > your local sunsite mirror.
:
: I have two network cards installed. Both cards eth0 and eth1 are
: recognized by the kernel. I did an ifconfig to associate an IP address
: with the second card.

: I think I should be able to ping both cards from the machine they are
: installed in, but I can't. Shouldn't I be able to ping both cards.

(Further ref: http://kipper.york.ac.uk/netsetup.html)

Are you sure the second one is set up properly - you probably need to
do an  ifconfig  and a  route add -net  to be on the safe side.  Try
traceroute  to make sure you are trying to contact the right card.

Post by g.. » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> : i would like to install a second network adaptor card but when linux boots and
> : does the ne*000 probe it finds only the first one.
> : what do i have to do to get 2 adapter cards running on 2 different ip
> : addresses - i guess on /dev/eth0 and /dev/eth1???

> You need to tell the kernel to probe for more than one card.  Try adding
> the line
>         append = "ether=0,0,eth1"
> to your lilo.conf file.

> This is covered in the Linux Multiple Ethernet mini-HOWTO, from
> your local sunsite mirror.

>         Geoff
> --

> can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

I have two network cards installed. Both cards eth0 and eth1 are
recognized by the kernel. I did an ifconfig to associate an IP address
with the second card.

I think I should be able to ping both cards from the machine they are
installed in, but I can't. Shouldn't I be able to ping both cards.

I can ping eth0 but not eth1.

What am I missing??
PS: I have read all of the FAQs......

  gil.

1. two network cards, two(?) networks, one computer...

Greets.

At work we have several servers with two network
cards per configured on the same network.
Ie. one card would be 192.168.1.4 and the second one 192.168.1.5.
One card is plugged into the backbone.
However, the other card is plugged into a 'server-only' hub,
I guess for inter-server communication.

My question: is this sane?

--
Robert Dale

   "arrest this man he talks in maths"
                          RADIOHEAD OK COMPUTER

2. Annoying pine problem...

3. How do I install two network adapters ???

4. Atapi,IDE, setup or compile

5. Two network adapters on seperate networks problem

6. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (2/7) [Frequent posting]

7. Installing on old 486 with two network cards

8. ftpd and shadow

9. Installing two Network Cards in Debian 2.1 Distribution

10. two network card install problem

11. Installing on old 486 with two network cards

12. Adding second network card/after install

13. (New to AIX) How do I install a second network card from scratch?