Newbie - Problem using printer through router with a built in print server

Newbie - Problem using printer through router with a built in print server

Post by AC » Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:55:46

I have just installed Suse 9.1 personal and I am trying to get my
printer working.
The computer is connected to the printer and the internet through a
network card and a Origo BRP1400 router with a printer server.
I can access the web with no problems but I cannot get it to print.
I have tried setting it up through YaST and tried the different network
options but I cannot get it to work - any ideas?
If I connect the printer directly to the PC via USB then it prints
perfectly.

My other two PC's run XP and can both print without any problems
although I had to set up a virtual printer port using the software that
cam with the router.  Then configure the printer to print through this
virtual port.

The router is also now known as an Origo SBRU-10100
You can also find sales info at http://safecom.cn/code/ I actually
purchased it through www.Ebuyer.co.uk where they sell it under their
Ebuyer brand You can see info on it here
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2917246769&acti...

There is a support forum at  http://adsltech.com/portal/forum/
I have seen a post there saying that there is no driver available for
the router. Can anyone confirm this

If I can't run the printer through the router what would be better
a print server connected to the router via RJ45 or a USB between the
router and the printer.  With the Linux PC direct into the switch?

Newbie - Problem using printer through router with a built in print server

Post by Michael Schoelze » Fri, 19 Nov 2004 04:47:13

I do have a similar set up here with just a printserver as an additional
device.

To make it working, you have to install and set up ptal.

The printer has be installed via cups. If I remember right it was via
:localhost:631 (just enter as a URL in a browser of your choice)

There are some good install instruction on the net, but it's really
simple,

I managed to get a HPG85 working (printing and scanning)

Michael

> I have just installed Suse 9.1 personal and I am trying to get my
> printer working.
> The computer is connected to the printer and the internet through a
> network card and a Origo BRP1400 router with a printer server.
> I can access the web with no problems but I cannot get it to print.
> I have tried setting it up through YaST and tried the different network
> options but I cannot get it to work - any ideas?
> If I connect the printer directly to the PC via USB then it prints
> perfectly.

> My other two PC's run XP and can both print without any problems
> although I had to set up a virtual printer port using the software that
> cam with the router.  Then configure the printer to print through this
> virtual port.

> The router is also now known as an Origo SBRU-10100
> You can also find sales info at http://safecom.cn/code/ I actually
> purchased it through www.Ebuyer.co.uk where they sell it under their
> Ebuyer brand You can see info on it here
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2917246769&acti...

> There is a support forum at  http://adsltech.com/portal/forum/
> I have seen a post there saying that there is no driver available for
> the router. Can anyone confirm this

> If I can't run the printer through the router what would be better
> a print server connected to the router via RJ45 or a USB between the
> router and the printer.  With the Linux PC direct into the switch?

1. Problem with Remote Printing Thru Print Servers

I have a problem with UW7 Can you please address this on the forum on my
behalf for the time being. I shall be obliged.

Problem is as under:

I have installed a system with UW7 (7.1.0) and want to get some
printing on
the network using the Print Servers from D-Link (DP-100, DP-300) and/or
Balylan's Printer Servers. These P.Servers works very fine with SCO
OpenServer 5 but a little bit problem in the UW7 is that (with 2 or 3
printers installed) If I send some requests to one printer it is OK but
when
the requests are sent to more that 1 printer, only one printer prints
and
the others are idle until the first one ends the job and I want all the
printers working in the same time. Can you please advise or send my
problem
to the forum ? Shall be grateful.

I also tried to find the Printcap file but failed.

Regards

Mian Abdul Majid

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. some one please tell me how does it work - half life (linux) ???

3. accessing printer thru print server

4. Jumpstart - automating

5. Printing to networked printers through Linux using X-stations as print servers

6. Sharing VFAT and Ext2 partitions

7. Compare file modification date using tcsh built-ins

8. HELP! Netscape 4 does not work on RedHat 5.0

9. Printing thru Linksys EPSX3 print server - how?

10. US Robotics Router - Using the Print Server?

11. Using the SMC Barricade 4-port router as print server

12. Using Siemens 2614 Router as Print Server

13. Problems printing using a linux print server