Debian Linux 2.0.36 & USR Courier-I Modem

Debian Linux 2.0.36 & USR Courier-I Modem

Post by Alexis » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have a USR Courier-I modem and I am trying to set it up under Linux
(kernel 2.0.36).

From what I understand, it is not exactly an ISDN adaptor, as it acts
like a normal modem, but connects at ISDN speeds (at least that's how I
had it set up under NT/98).

Well, I managed to get connected, using the PPP-Howtos and FAQ etc etc,
but I have a couple of problems:
    I can only connect manually (I run minicom, connect, quit the
program, then run pppd). When I run it using chat and a script, it wont
connect. And the script is exactly as it should be, cos my normal modem
connects (and my ISP uses the same login procedure for modems and ISDN).

    When I do connect... it's ridiculously slow. I get transfer rates of
600b/sec in netscape, whereas it should be 3-7 kb/sec (although in
minicom, I get a CONNECT 64000, as usual).

Can anybody give me some pointers?

Thanks

Alexis M
<remove "nospam." to email me directly>