useradd problem under SuSe 6.1

Post by Vincent Ridderikhof » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a small problem with useradd under SuSe. When I add users the
password isn't encrypted, so when a user tries to login it can't because
the password isn't encrypted in the shadow file, when I use YaST to add
users it is encrypted, but I need to add a lot of users a day and don't
feel much about creating them by hand, so I've written a perl script
which does it for me, the only problem is that useradd doesn't encrypt
the passwords. At first I thought it was because I added users using the
Perl script, but when I use the cmdline I also have the same problem.

Can anyone help me with this?

Greetz Vincent...

:-))

useradd problem under SuSe 6.1

Post by Malwar » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi Vincent,

> I have a small problem with useradd under SuSe. When I add users the
> password isn't encrypted, so when a user tries to login it can't because
> the password isn't encrypted in the shadow file, when I use YaST to add
> users it is encrypted, but I need to add a lot of users a day and don't

It's for sure a failure of S.u.S.E. It seems to persist since ages.
Install a version of the user* scripts that is shadow-aware or use
pwconv. The man page should tell you more about pwconv.

Malware