Newbie Trying to Setup Ethernet Card w/ Linux

Newbie Trying to Setup Ethernet Card w/ Linux

Post by Phil » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

In my dorm we have comcast service. I vaguely understand how it works, I
belive there are several cable modems in my building each of which has a
27 port hub, so its roughly one hub per floor.  Of course configuring this
is windows was easy but when it came to setting it up for linux it became
more complicated. My room has two jacks i have a windows box in one and
the linux in the other, i got the Gateway IP, DHCP IP, and DNS IP from the
win box, assuming these are stable IP's even though we use a DHCP
service.  During setup of linux (Caldera OpenLinux 2.3) it asked for one
pice of information the hostname in which i entered a madeup name for my
computer . the domain . com am i allowed to just make up a name for my
computer ?? once installation was complete i edited the ethernet interface
connection to DHCP it then only wanted the Default Gateway so i entered
what i believe is a static IP ( i got from the windows box) i also edited
the names resolver to reflect the accurate DNS server. When i try to
access a webpage it does nothing for awhile but says it cant retrieve it,
after some time a python code error stating "no response from DHCP server"
i am not too familiar with linux but under the advice of someone else i
did an ifconfig and i believe all it had was "lo" no "eth0" but im not
positive, what did i forget to do or do wrong ?? does linux have default
drivers for this ethernet card ? "Sohoware Fast Ethernet" also if you
could email me any responses i would appreciate it in case i forget to
check back here.  this is really frustrating and im in desperate need of a
solution, ive posted at more bull. boards than i can remember and still am
without a solution ! HELP!!

Newbie Trying to Setup Ethernet Card w/ Linux

Post by patrick.them.. » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> In my dorm we have comcast service. I vaguely understand how it works,
> belive there are several cable modems in my building each of which has
> 27 port hub, so its roughly one hub per floor.  Of course configuring
this
> is windows was easy but when it came to setting it up for linux it
became
> more complicated. My room has two jacks i have a windows box in one
and
> the linux in the other, i got the Gateway IP, DHCP IP, and DNS IP from
the
> win box, assuming these are stable IP's even though we use a DHCP
> service.  During setup of linux (Caldera OpenLinux 2.3) it asked for
one
> pice of information the hostname in which i entered a madeup name for
my
> computer . the domain . com am i allowed to just make up a name for my
> computer ?? once installation was complete i edited the ethernet
interface
> connection to DHCP it then only wanted the Default Gateway so i
entered
> what i believe is a static IP ( i got from the windows box) i also
edited
> the names resolver to reflect the accurate DNS server. When i try to
> access a webpage it does nothing for awhile but says it cant retrieve
it,
> after some time a python code error stating "no response from DHCP
server"
> i am not too familiar with linux but under the advice of someone else
> did an ifconfig and i believe all it had was "lo" no "eth0" but im not
> positive, what did i forget to do or do wrong ?? does linux have
default
> drivers for this ethernet card ? "Sohoware Fast Ethernet" also if you
> could email me any responses i would appreciate it in case i forget to
> check back here.  this is really frustrating and im in desperate need
of a
> solution, ive posted at more bull. boards than i can remember and
still am
> without a solution ! HELP!!

> --

just a hint:

i read somewhere that sohoware fast ethernet seems to have a
'tulip' chip.

you will have to recompile your kernel,
read 'kernel-howto'
to include your nic-
either into the kernel or as module.

so , try to find out what chip your nic uses,
( maybe ask someone who uses the same,
or post info on the chip here)
find out about kernel configuration and compilation,
and go ahead.
hth

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. <Newbie> Trying to configure MetroX, Setup fails while trying to select Keyboard layout

I have setup Linux 2.0.31 RedHat 5.0 on an AMD 486DX4-100 MHz VLB
CirrusLogic CL-GD5428 2M Video card & Promise 2300+ EIDE Adapter
What is happening? I have gotten to the config of MetroX and when I
try to select a keyboard other than default it locks up the system.  I
have to do a cold boot at that time.  All my expertise with DOS
systems is useless to me now, and I'd like to join the Unix community
and experiment with other systems.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and help.
Please contact me by E-Mail
Eric Brunelle
Fredericksburg, VA

2. RHS Upgrades broke Apache, Ppp..

3. Trying to setup firewall on linux box with two network cards, cards are not configuring correctly

4. SHAREWARE: jpg2pdf 1.2

5. help this newbie: multiple tuner cards and capture cards setup, LINUX MULTIPLEXOR

6. mouse problem

7. Trying to get Linux to work with a NetGear (Bay Networks) Ethernet card

8. Compiling from CVS

9. Newbie trying to setup Linux on second hard drive

10. Linux Newbie trying to setup firewall...

11. Trying to get Linux to work with a NetGear (Bay Networks) Ethernet card

12. Which ethernet card for a two card setup?

13. Newbie Ethernet-card /ISDN-Card