Restricted Telnet Access

Post by Jean-Michel DRICO » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

hello,

I'd like to allow certain users (or even a given group of users) to
telnet my servers but disallow regular users...

How should I proceed ?

Thanks

Restricted Telnet Access

Post by Bob PHILLIP » Sun, 31 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Lots of ways to do this!

To deny access change the shell to something like /bin/true for people who
do not need access

To allow access set their shell to /bin/bash

This of course will mean that all their password will do (/bin/true) is
allow authentication ie for pop3 mail access and not allow any login access
like telnet or ftp.  When they have a "real" shell, you can access all
services

Alternative is to write simple script frontend that allows users to select
services that are available or allowed.

--
Bob PHILLIPS
Director/System Administrator

                                                |  http://www.norcom.net.au
Yes, I am on the interthingy     |  If it aint broke, fix it, then it will
be
     dotnet dotau Pty Ltd PO Box 2762 SOUTH HEDLAND WA 6722 AUSTRALIA