configuring 'Socks' / socks.conf ?

Post by Jean-Pascal Crame » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I've been trying to install socks on my linux 1.2.8 box and followed the
instructions from the "Firewalling & Proxy HOWTO" (D. Rudder).

I'm not sure about the format of the 'socks.conf' file though. What should
I put in this file? and where should this file be located? in the same
directory as sockd and sockd.conf?

If I try to do without the socks.conf file, the problem I am experiencing
is that no "information" ever gets back to the machine behind the firewall
('tcpdump' shows the firewall does a good job in forwarding information to
the 'outside world', but not the other way round..).

Any clues? or can somebody refer me to a manual or help file?

Thanks a lot,

--

   * If you took all the economists and laid them head to toe, they  *
   * would stretch around the world three times and the only thing   *

1. Socks.conf with two socks servers?

Hi,

We have a setup with Linux hosts on two locations and use dante socks
1.19 to connect to the internet for protocols other than HTTP and FTP.
The following socks.conf route is working:

route {
  from: 0.0.0.0/0
  to:   0.0.0.0/0
  via:  10.0.0.16 port = 1080
  protocol:      tcp udp
  proxyprotocol: socks_v4
  method:        none

What I would like to have is a socks.conf that configures the socks
client to use the nearest socks server, depending on the network. I
tried this without luck:

route {
  from: 192.168.1.0/24
  to:   0.0.0.0/0
  via:  10.0.0.16 port = 1080
  protocol:      tcp udp
  proxyprotocol: socks_v4
  method:        none

route {
  from: 192.168.94.0/24
  to:   0.0.0.0/0
  via:  192.168.94.18 port = 1080
  protocol:      tcp udp
  proxyprotocol: socks_v4
  method:        none

The error debug output says:

Dec  4 14:32:28 adnws001 ftp: Rconnect(): unsupported address family
'10', fallback to system connect()

I did not find such an example in the dante socks distribution or with
Google.

Thanks in advance for help

Regards,
Bernd

2. Any Mail Application for commercial use

3. Compile the 'sock' program in the book 'TCP/IP Illustrated Vol.1'

4. problem with ddd, says init.c not found

5. Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'

6. 7PM, 19 Feb 2002: "Introduction to Corba Programming", Linux Users of Los Angeles

7. DiskOnChip2000 and Linux 2.2.x

8. sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': No such device

9. Available: Perl-5+SOCKS, mirror.pl+PASV+SOCKS, more perl5 fixes.

10. difference between sock->sport and sock->num

11. Hummingbird socks to Ubuntu Socks

12. Netscape 4.06 just won't SOCKS