ifconfig rx/tx counters

Post by Geof » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:49:25

Hi,

I have noticed that on our linux boxes, the RX/TX counters on Ethernet
interfaces reset to 0 Mb at around the 4000 Mb mark.

There was a lot of traffic going through the interface (possibly a
dos) and I couldn't keep track of how much was actually going through
using ifconfig, it was quite annoying.

Where is the RX/TX value stored? somewhere in the /proc filesystem?

What is the reason for this the reset to 0? is there any way to make
it not reset?

Thanks in advance...

ifconfig rx/tx counters

Post by Tauno Voipi » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:31:02

Quote:> Hi,

> I have noticed that on our linux boxes, the RX/TX counters on Ethernet
> interfaces reset to 0 Mb at around the 4000 Mb mark.

> There was a lot of traffic going through the interface (possibly a
> dos) and I couldn't keep track of how much was actually going through
> using ifconfig, it was quite annoying.

> Where is the RX/TX value stored? somewhere in the /proc filesystem?

> What is the reason for this the reset to 0? is there any way to make
> it not reset?

The maximum number expressible in 32 bits is 4294967295. After it, the
counters roll over to zero.

Maybe this is a place for a change in the kernel code.

HTH

Tauno Voipio

1. Resetting the TX/RX Counters possible?

Hi all,

is there any way to reset the RX/TX counters of my network interfaces
besides unloading and loading the module? I use SNMP to calculate the
thoughput and the 32 Bit Counters in SNMP don't wrap to zero but stay at
2^32 once that value is reached.

System is linux 2.4.18 on sparc64 (debian woody) using 3c59x and Sun's
HME NICs.

Thanks,

Uli

2. New Free Web Server Announcement

3. ifconfig RX/TX errors

4. Working on Sybase on Linux - Need advice

5. How do I stop ifconfig RX|TX from maxing-out on 2147483647 packets?

6. problem with isdn

7. RX/TX errors reported by ifconfig (CSLIP @ 28.8k)

8. FS: DEC Alpha System

9. ifconfig RX, TX packet errors

10. 3c905 100Mbps: RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR?

11. networkdevices RX/TX status

12. Incoming IP limiter script on daily basis: @ 300MB RX traffic, ifconfig eth1 down (PLEASE HELP)

13. IP Aliases: no TX/RX for the interface.