remotely initiating ppp connection

Post by Patrice Munge » Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I want to have my linux box at home to start the ppp connection script
to my ISP  when I'm not at work. I guess it's possible to have my modem
answer incoming phone calls, hangup and start the ppp connection script.
I believe that this can be done with mgetty.  Any suggestion on how to
do it would be welcome!

Pat.

Post by d.. » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I want to have my linux box at home to start the ppp connection script
> to my ISP  when I'm not at work. I guess it's possible to have my modem
> answer incoming phone calls, hangup and start the ppp connection script.
> I believe that this can be done with mgetty.  Any suggestion on how to
> do it would be welcome!

You probably _could_ do it with mgetty, but mgetty is ugly. :)
Look around sunsite; there's a couple of programs called ringd (and
variants thereof). Basically, they sit on the serial line, listen for
rings (or a pattern of rings, so people can still call and leave
messages on your machine), and then do [something] to connect to the
'net.

dave

----- David E. Smith, P O Box 324, Cape Girardeau MO 63702

"I can't argue worth a damn, because I know my questions never end"
  -- Luscious Jackson

1. Initiating an SMTP connection when someone logs in via PPP

Hi, we run a linux box as dial up ppp server, using mgetty. I want to be
able to initiate an smtp delivery when a user logs in. I figured I could do
it by running sendmail -q when a user logs in, but I would really only like
to flush the queue for a particular user, so that for example, Joe Bloggs
logs in and the server initiates an smtp connection and flushes Joe Bloggs
queue. I know that some ISP's use this trick, but hows it done? (Demon in
the UK is one that I know of).
The other problem is how to monitor who has logged in? Could I do it from a
shell script, or would I have to use C to monitor /var/run/utmp.

Regards

Paul Wickham

2. add another transparent bridge.

3. Can`t initiate PPP connection unless root

4. raid5 multi-drive-failure and recovery?

5. cannot initiate a ppp connection under users account

6. RedHat 5.1 & Adaptec AIC-7890 problem

7. RH5.1 PPP connection: PPP connection persists, telnet session times out

8. Newbie Question..

9. Solaris still initiates internet-connection over ISDN-Router

10. POP request initiate connection to ISP

11. Logging outside initiated connections

12. Connections take along time to initiate.

13. Trace back from a TCP-connection to initiating process possible ?