DNS/DHCP/updates

Post by Patrick M Geaha » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 04:48:07

All -

I have a small home network that gets its' external interface through a
cable modem.  One of my machines is acting as a DNS(BIND 9.1.3) and DHCP
server.

All of my permanent machines get a fixed address from the DHCP server.
Any other machine gets an IP from the pool.

Here's what I want to do:  I'd like the ability to dynamically update DNS
whenever a DHCP lease occurs.  SO, when the machine 'fileserver' requests
an address, the DNS server then links 'fileserver' with the granted IP
address.

True, I could distribute a hosts file with everything in place.  However,
I often have temp machines plugged in which will also get an address.  If
one of these requests one, I'd like that in the DNS too.

Currently, my nameserver is caching-only.  If necessary, I'd switch modes
and put forwarding in, if I had to.

Can anyone assist here?  I've tried searching for documentation, but most
seems to be geared towards a more static config.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

--

Quote of the Week: "Jesus Christ on a dance floor:  "Help!  I've risen but
I can't get down!"" - Delain

DNS/DHCP/updates

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:10:26

Hi!,

Quote:> I have a small home network that gets its' external interface through a
> cable modem.  One of my machines is acting as a DNS(BIND 9.1.3) and DHCP
> server.

> All of my permanent machines get a fixed address from the DHCP server.
> Any other machine gets an IP from the pool.

> Here's what I want to do:  I'd like the ability to dynamically update DNS
> whenever a DHCP lease occurs.  SO, when the machine 'fileserver' requests
> an address, the DNS server then links 'fileserver' with the granted IP
> address.

> True, I could distribute a hosts file with everything in place.  However,
> I often have temp machines plugged in which will also get an address.  If
> one of these requests one, I'd like that in the DNS too.

You might like to take a look at the DDNS service which is available with the
latest version of the DHCP client and the version of BIND which you are
using.  Additionally, if you look through the archives of this group, you
should find the Mini-FAQ which Rancid Moth put out on how to configure such a
service.  If you can't track the FAQ down, let me know and I will send a copy
of the version that I have.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Redhat 9.0 dhcp client & windows 2003 dhcp server: dynamic dns update

Hi,

I'm trying to add some linux (redhat 9.0, kernel 2.4.20-8) boxes to our
Windows 2003 domain.
The dhcp server is running fine, and the linux clients are getting leases.
However they are not
getting added to the dns forward lookup zone.

The dhcp server is set up to register *all* client leases in the dns, even
for those who do not request so.

The dns server is set up to allow both secure & insecure updates.

I've tried googling for a solution and have tried:
1) Adding DHCP_HOSTNAME & HOSTNAME to the /etc/sysconfig/network
configuration file.
2) Modifying the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup script replacing
<snip>
 if [ -n "${DYNCONFIG}" ]; then
        PUMPARGS=$PUMPARGS
        DHCPCDARGS="$DHCPCDARGS -n"
        if [ -n "${DHCP_HOSTNAME}" ]; then
           PUMPARGS="-h ${DHCP_HOSTNAME}"
           DHCPCDARGS="-h ${DHCP_HOSTNAME}"
</snip>
with
<snip>
 if [ -n "${DYNCONFIG}" ]; then
        PUMPARGS=$PUMPARGS
        DHCPCDARGS="$DHCPCDARGS -n"
        if [ -n "${DHCP_HOSTNAME}" ]; then
           PUMPARGS="--win-client-ident -h ${DHCP_HOSTNAME}"
           DHCPCDARGS="-h ${DHCP_HOSTNAME}"
</snip>
3) Using redhats GUI network configuration tool to set the values  - which I
believe more or less
    amounts to 1).

Still no luck. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very thankful to
hear from them.

Regards

Mads Ravn

2. solaris 2.5 admin

3. How to get DHCP to update two primary DNS servers?

4. Netscape Messenger Question

5. DHCP, BIND9 - dynamic dns update

6. RESOLVED : Re: sql script questions

7. Update of DNS via DHCP

8. AIX documentation order #

9. Dynamic DNS updates with DHCP

10. Update DNS server from DHCP server

11. DNS update from DHCP fails with Linux Clients only!!!

12. DHCP Server automatic update to DNS.

13. dns update using dhcp