Using Linux box to route email for Company.

Using Linux box to route email for Company.

Post by Justin Mil » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have been thinking if it is possible  for a nationwide company connected
to one ISP to have Linux boxes at each branch connected to workstations
on the ethernet.

branch1 -----> ISP    <----------------------------> Internet
                                             | ISP routes mail to branches

                                             | and Internet
branch2 -----> ISP   <-----

Domain of company called ABC.com and the linux boxes  at the branches
called Branch1, branch2 etc.

Is a UUCP account the better option or a dial-up SLIP account scripted to
dial in  three times a day. and so doing send & retrieve mail

What is involved on the ISP side ?
What configuration must you setup for sendmail.cf ?

Just curious to see whether it is possible?
From a guy who has lots to learn

Regards

Justin
           Justin Miles   Phone: (27) 441 - 711360
           PO Box 1968      Fax: (27) 441 - 711360
           George 6530       Cel: (27) 82 - 4459815

           http://saaslin.petech.ac.za/~justin

           Heart of the Garden Route of South Africa

1. Can't route POP 3 email through my Linux box

Greetings,

I have had some problems receiving POP3 email from Bellsouth over the
past three weeks. I route through my Linux Mandrake box. It is also a
firewall (ipchains) and web proxy server using Squid. Here are some
key points pertaining to the problem:

* Can't recieve any mail on either of my 2 Windows machines. I can
send OK.
* I can telnet into the Bellsouth mail server with no problems.
* I can recieve my Bellsouth mail with no problems at work.
* If I bypass the Linux machine, I can recieve mail with no problems
while connected directly to Bellsouth.

Now that I have identified that something's wrong/changed with my
Linux machine, I have done these things to troubleshoot...oh and let
me note - I have changed NOTHING. Nothing on my Linux box and nothing
on any of the WindBloze machines.

* Opened up the firewall rules so that there are NO restrictions.
Still NG. I didn't think that would phase things since I log no
DENIALS while trying the recieve the email.

* Tested demasquerading and there is nothing wrong with it.

I am at a loss. I really don't think that calling Bellsouth is going
to get me anywhere. I really don't ever call them.

Any help or suggestions would me greatly appreciated.

2. Work in the Netherlands, Switzerland or UK?

3. Tips on using a Linux box for an email server.

4. Screen shots of linux software ?

5. What is the company that makes a lunch box size box?

6. Midnight Commander and colour

7. control and monitor routing using linux box

8. lvs.cf question

9. Help - Problems with routing using Linux Box as Gateway

10. Routing Internet connection from WINXP box to LINUX Box

11. Connecting Linux Box to company network makes network port shut down

12. hooking linux box up to company LAN: opinions???

13. Printing using lpd from linux box to OS/2 box