Need Help Setting up DNS

Post by Sybo » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 12:26:55

Hi!

I have a dsl system with 5 static IPs.  One is used for
DHCP/Router/Firewall.  That runs an internal network.

Two are used for VPN Work Stations.

Which leaves me two more for setting up a dedicated Web/DNS Server.

I have Apache setup and running, but the only way to see the website
is by using the ip address in the  URL (http://208.189.91.44_NOSPAM)

After reading the DNS/Bind book and using the Howto FAQ (at the Linux
documentation project)  I have setup a DNS server.

I have registered a URL name with setupsite.com.   The site needs me
to tell it what my primary and secondary name servers are.

My question is, what do I do next?  Is my DNS server running right?

Thanks Good People!

Need Help Setting up DNS

Post by Clemens Herman » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:45:53

Hi Sybock

Quote:> I have registered a URL name with setupsite.com.   The site needs me
> to tell it what my primary and secondary name servers are.

sure they want to know it ;-). They will register your domains and
redirect all queries to your nameservers. So I think you must have at
least two runing nameservers (primary, secondary) when registering the
domain. The nameservers normally get checked when registering a domain
and they are not connected when not all nameservers are able to resolve
the domain.

Quote:> My question is, what do I do next?  Is my DNS server running right?

as you might have read in your tutorials you can check the correct work
of your nameserver with the nslookup tool. You must have at least one
secondary nameserver, this must be a second machine, CNAMES do not work.
Make sure the zonetransfer works and try the nslookup with the secondary
DNS.

Quote:> Thanks Good People!

HTH

C.H.