Ethernet fails during boot - Fedora Core 3

Ethernet fails during boot - Fedora Core 3

Post by Jim Anderso » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 00:28:21

I'm running Fedora Core 3 (linux 2.6.9-1.667) and all was running
well until this past week when I was running off an ethernet
at a hotel. I unplugged from the ethenet cable and went
to a meeting. When I returned and connected to the ethernet cabke there
was no connectivity. I tried rebooting and when rebooting,
the ethernet interface startup failed.

When I got home, I tried connecting to a cable that I know
is good and again, the ethernet interface failed to start
at boot time.

I'm not sure what the next step is to isolate this to
hardware or software on the PC. Can someone help me
checkout the ethernet software on my PC?

Thank you in advance.

Jim Anderon

Post by Allen Kistle » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 02:06:27

> I'm running Fedora Core 3 ...
> ... I tried rebooting and when rebooting,
> the ethernet interface startup failed.

> When I got home, I tried connecting to a cable that I know
> is good and again, the ethernet interface failed to start
> at boot time.

> I'm not sure what the next step is to isolate this to
> hardware or software on the PC. Can someone help me
> checkout the ethernet software on my PC?

Places to start:

lspci (a command) should list a line that describes your network
interface, among just about all the other hardware you've got.  If it
doesn't, you know the hardware is bad.

/etc/modprobe.conf (a file) should list a kernel module for your NIC
that get loaded when the network starts.  It probably aliases the
interface to eth0.

"ifconfig -a" (a command) should list info about all the interfaces that
are up.

"ifconfig eth0" should list info about eth0 even if it's down.

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (a file) contains info about
how to configure eth0 when it comes up (like static vs. dhcp) and if it
should be brought up by default.

ifup and ifdown (commands) manually bring up and take down an interface.

ifup invokes dhclient (a command) to get dhcp info.  You can use it
manually if you have to to test dhcp.

Ethernet fails during boot - Fedora Core 3

Post by Jim Anderso » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 04:36:56

Allen,

Thank you for the suggestions. All is well now. As soon as I looked at
the ifconfig output, I knew things looked suspecious because there
wasn't a 'inet addr' in the output. I used the FC3 program to create
a new network connection and evertything was fine.

Jim

Post by Robert Nichol » Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:42:11

:
:Thank you for the suggestions. All is well now. As soon as I looked at
:the ifconfig output, I knew things looked suspecious because there
:wasn't a 'inet addr' in the output. I used the FC3 program to create
:a new network connection and evertything was fine.

Sounds like yet another victim of NetworkManager "managing" your
network connection.

--
Bob Nichols         AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"

1. Strange SSH halting problem between Fedora Core 2/Fedora Core 3

<snip>

Hi Jon:

Something I noticed today while ssh'ing via another ssh'ed account is that
it doesn't really like multiple-forwarded X connections.

I'll elaborate:

I ssh into my home workstation from work. This connection has been setup to
forward X connections. But then when I try to ssh from the home workstation
to another machine on my home network, I get a timeout similar to what you
describe. The solution is to do the second ssh without forwarding X, ie, by
invoking "ssh -x <server>". I don't know whether this is your problem, but
might be something to look into.

Cheers,
--
 ** Matt van de Werken -- Cricket, Unix, Electronics Enthusiast **
 **   Linux -- Dual Athlon MP1800+ -- Fri, 03 Dec 2004  5:01PM  **

2. SMP on assym. x86

3. Fedora Core 4 ipw2200 failed to load Reason -2

4. Dialback and FAQs

5. alpha (alcor) failing during boot: NCR53c810/NCR53c875 give error "Cache test failed"

6. ipchains

7. Problems with Booting Fedora Core 4 with Raid 1

8. Virtual Windows

9. booting fedora core 3 (Kernel 2.6) from USB Card Readers

10. core dump during boot-Slackware 2.0

11. script test fails only when run during boot

12. network failed during boot - help?

13. why do i get "mounting filesystems failed" during boot?