NFS: Does client have to be in server's hosts file?

NFS: Does client have to be in server's hosts file?

Post by Jason Griffi » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to connect to a Linux NFS server.  I have noticed that I can
only connect if I put the client's IP address in the server's hosts
file, otherwise I get "Permission denied" message at client.

Is there any way fo getting around this and allowing anyone to access
the server?

1. NFS client can't see server's files

Howde all,

I have a Redhat 5.2 (2.0.36) file server and a Mandrake 6 client.  The
server is set up as an NFS client with two shares, the first is the
/shared directory.  The client can see the shared directory on the
server no worries.

The second share is the server's /home directory.  The client can see
the directories of all users, but that's it -- it can't see any contents
of the directories and cannot write to them.

I can telnet to the server and ls the home directories and see
everything just fine.

As you can understand, I'm trying to get the client to "log in" to the
server's home directories... but I am having no joy.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

--
WIDGET SOLUTIONS

Mobile: 0414 985571
Fax: (07) 4927 2687

? Graphic Design
  ? Hardware
    ? Software

2. Some questions.

3. NFS-client: what am I doing wrong?

4. Printig: strange permission problem

5. Solaris NFS client -> Linux server: `file: is a directory' errors

6. Can't ping gateway

7. Linux NFS server & Solaris client - can't see files

8. Motherboard Compatibility

9. NFS Problem: Files aren't closed on Server (when closed on client)

10. NFS clients don't follow mount point on server to correct file system device

11. Down 'Solaris' NFS Server hangs 'Solaris' Client

12. Need info on PC/NFS and Unix NFS servers, server/client ratio

13. 'users' in /etc/group causing telnet problem for NFS server/clients