Ping

Post by sherifha.. » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Simple question...

If I have multiple interfaces set up, including ppp interfaces,
how do I tell ping which interface to use?

I know that there's an "-I <interface address>" option, but what
kind of address is that?

Thanks,
Sherif

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Ping

Post by Rakamsingh Limbu Begh » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

PING [IP adress]

Example:

PING 10.0.0.1

Rakam
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Rakamsingh Limbu Begha

http://members.tripod.com/~rakam/,
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7963/
Phone: 673-2-343835, 673-2-345134
Fax: 673-2-336259
Snail Address: GRU, Sungai Akar, PO BOX 420, BSB BS 8670, BRUNEI

Quote:> Simple question...

> If I have multiple interfaces set up, including ppp interfaces,
> how do I tell ping which interface to use?

> I know that there's an "-I <interface address>" option, but what
> kind of address is that?

> Thanks,
> Sherif

Ping

Post by Charles Stac » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

The routing table will determine which interface to use.  So, if you have
eth0 and eth1 both on network w.x.y.z, and eth0 is your default interface,
no matter what you do, the ping will go out eth0.

As for the -i option....I don't think it works (or I never could get it to
work).

cjs

Quote:> Simple question...

> If I have multiple interfaces set up, including ppp interfaces,
> how do I tell ping which interface to use?

> I know that there's an "-I <interface address>" option, but what
> kind of address is that?

> Thanks,
> Sherif

Ping

Post by Ronny Lamper » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hy,

>> Simple question...

>> If I have multiple interfaces set up, including ppp interfaces,
>> how do I tell ping which interface to use?

>> I know that there's an "-I <interface address>" option, but what
>> kind of address is that?

>> Thanks,
>> Sherif

>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
>> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
>Example:

>PING 10.0.0.1

>Rakam
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

ARE YOU SOME KINDA BRAINDEAD, RAKAM =?=

It should be 'ping -I ppp0 *.ms.com' or 'ping -I eth0 server.local.com'
You can look at you interface name by typing 'ifconfig'.

Hope it helps.

Ronny T. Lampert

Ping

Post by sherifha.. » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> The routing table will determine which interface to use.  So, if
you have
> eth0 and eth1 both on network w.x.y.z, and eth0 is your
default interface,
> no matter what you do, the ping will go out eth0.

> As for the -i option....I don't think it works (or I never could get
it to
> work).

> cjs

Thanks for the reply...

See, the problem is that the interfaces that I setup come up and
down very rapidly...so I can't keep changing my routing
tables :)

It's all in that -I option...Ronny: -I ppp0 or -I eth0 does not
work. It needs something else. I just don't know what.

Sherif :)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. A pings B, B pings C, C cannot ping A

In our small network, we have several w9x clients, a w2k server and a
linux server. To date, integration of these has been going ok. However,
today, we brought up some clients that cannot ping to the linux server
(all of this by IP address), but they can ping to the w2k server, which
are physically next to each other, and connect to the same switch. There
have been no problems with communication between the linux system, w2k
system and other computers on site. The clients use dhcp on the w2k
server to get their ip addresses. The only issues that I can think of at
this time is that the problem systems are on the longest runs from the
hub, which appear to be a little over the 100m line, and the linux and
w2k units (probably) have different nics. Can anybody out there shed
some light on this situation?

Thanks,

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. NIS Master on Solaris?

3. ping localhost fails; ping 127.0.0.1 works

4. How to get 1152 x somethting reasonable

5. Can ping "localhost" but can't ping my own IP...why?

6. Testing

7. ping <ipv6-host> does not work, ping <ipv6-ip> does

8. ip-up and vpn

9. ping localhost -> OK, ping myhost -> dies

10. Can't ping local host but can ping others

11. cannot ping internal network (ping operation not permitted)

12. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

13. Help - can't ping one of my machines (but it can ping me).