Can't telnet to local machine

Post by John Oliv » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I'm wondering why I'm unable to telnet from my Windows NT 4.0 box to
my Red Hat 4.2 box.  They're both connected to a hub, and the Linux

modem).  I can't telnet to either IP address, but I can telnet in from
other machines out there... Why wouldn't I be able to telnet inside my
little TCP/IP network?

Watch for the spam trap in my email address, please...
Don't just hit 'Reply'!!

The opinions I express are mine, and do not
necessarily reflect those of my employer or
anyone else I may have any affiliation with.

1. RedHat 8.0 -- Telnet works to local host, but can't telnet from a remote machine

Installed RedHat 8.0 today on a generic clone PC.  We'll call it "New
Box"  Seems to be a security configuration issue -- here's the
details:

I can:
Telnet from "New Box" to anywhere
Telnet from "New Box" to it's own IP, using my own user account (let's
call myusername)
Telnet from "New Box" to it's loop back (127.0.0.1), using myusername
Ping "New Box"'s IP address from itself and any machine on our network
Ping any IP on our network from "New Box"

I can't
Telnet from "New Box" to it's own IP (or Loop back), using the root
account (and I know I have the right password -- I login to the box
currently using root)
Telnet from a Windows machine to "New Box"'s IP address
Telnet from a Red Hat 6.2 machine to "New Box"'s IP address
Telnet from a Red Hat 6.2 machine to it using the line, "telnet -l
myusername 192.168.7.198"

About the box:
IP Address of 192.168.7.198, assigned by a DHCP server.
Configuration was pretty much "factory defaults" of the install,
choose minimum firewall security.

Configuration Files:
/etc/xinetd.d/telnet:
# default: on
#       unencrypted username/password pairs for authentication.
service telnet
{
        disable = no
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
        log_on_failure  += USERID

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost

/etc/hosts.deny:
#
# hosts.deny    This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               *not* allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
# The portmap line is redundant, but it is left to remind you that
# the new secure portmap uses hosts.deny and hosts.allow.  In
particular
# you should know that NFS uses portmap!

/etc/hosts.allow:
#
# hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
# Following two entries made by Matt 11/26:
in.telnetd:     192.168.7.
in.ftpd:        192.168.7.

2. How to scan SCSI bus for new peripherals?

3. Can't telnet to local machine

4. ANNOUNCEMENT: 2.4.20-pre7-rmap14a-xfs-uml-shawn12c released

5. Local pop, ftp and telnet not working to local machine.

6. dhcp jumpstart

7. Howto redirect traffic from local machine to internet back to local machine?

8. Compatibility.

9. Can't Telnet of Ftp to my machine _from_ a DOS machine.

10. 'Local' Machines and rwhod

11. display on local linux machine after telnet/rlogin

12. Please help with ftp/telnet on local machine.

13. How to download file from telnet to local machine