chat and ppp for Slackware 96

Post by Dave Haa » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

hello again.

I have tried everything i can think of to get my chat script to dial the
modem for me. I want to use chat as a front end for the ppp daemon. I know
that ppp is installed in the kernel because of the messages at startup.

The question is about chat. I know that my modem is working because when i
enter the command =>echo ATZ > /dev/modem the modem restes itself (you can
hear it). However when I try to use chat with the script:

ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' '' ATZ OK ATDT1234567 CONNECT

nothing happens. The first string ATZ flashes up on the screen, but does
not seem to get sent to the modem. Chat times out and gives up, not having
received the expected return string.

I get the serial configuration done from rc.serial (which gets called from
my rc.M file) at startup. I am running the Slackware 96 Distribution Kernel
2.0.0.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is the matter??

I appreciate any and all help.

Dave Haas

1. Slackware 96 - PPP - Not getting to the modem

I've been working at this all day, and am probably overlooking
something, but it appears (via glances into the newsgroup) that
other's are having similar problems.  Here's mine:

Have had linux 1.2.13 installed and running with pppd for over a
year now.  Things worked fine, other than figuring out the pap
stuff.

I just upgraded to Slackware 96 (linux 2.0.0) and now cannot get
my modem recognized at all.  /dev/modem is linked to /dev/cua1
and I am definatly on com2, the port and irq are correct (0x02f8
and irq 3) and pppd is compiled into the kernel.  I've tried my
scripts from before the upgrade, played with the ppp-on script
that came with Slackware, and used the pppsetup by Robert Liesenfeld,
but no luck.  I am running "setserial /dev/modem baud_base 57600"
prior to trying pppd, as well as adding other options (specifying
the port, irq, etc).  My Cardinal 33.6 modem doesn't flicker a bit
when I run the scripts.  My USR 14.4 modem will flicker the TR
light while the script is running, but never does anything else.
Based on what's in the /var/log/messages file, it appears that it's
sending "AT" and never gets a response back.

Does anyone know what it could be?  All help would be appreciated, and
where possible, paid back. :)

.
Walter H. Hopgood, Tasman NAG and Team OS/2 Member

2. Mach64 running in non-accelerated mode

3. PPP Problem using Slackware 96

4. Problems with dosemu

5. Linux Slackware 96 PPP bug ??? (for pppd)

6. Rx Invalid Crypt

7. DIAL-PPP script failure in slackware '96

8. Best mirror program?

9. PPP & SLACKWARE 96 (Linux 2.0.0)

10. PPP & SLACKWARE 96

11. PPP & SLACKWARE 96 PART III

12. Dialback PPP with Slackware 96 (Kernel 2.0.0)

13. PPP & SLACKWARE 96 PART III