setting up win95 box as gateway for linux box

setting up win95 box as gateway for linux box

Post by J. Howard Benso » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

in comp.os.linux.networking,

>how would i go about setting up my win95 box to share my connection to the
>internet with my linux box?

Use your Linux box as a gateway for W95 systems. Set up an
internal network with cheap 10b2 ethernet cards. Use private
IP addresses on this network as described in RFC1918. Set up
the Linux box for PPP and IP masquerading. Configure W95 to
use the Linux machine as the default gateway. Establish the
PPP link with Linux. Enjoy the pleasure of having multiple
users access the Internet over a single phone line.

I have used this recipe with great success. It will require
some study and effort but the results are worth it.

---

http://www2.polarnet.com/~hbenson    -    home of simplenews
PGPprint (RSA) =  1F CC EC 3F 1B 17 01 F2  5B 3E 57 6C 42 13 EB 5A
PGPprint (DSS/D-H) = 8283 33EC E792 4CBD 8613 A6EB DF27 CF01 1652 D6F4

setting up win95 box as gateway for linux box

Post by Miguel Cr » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I presume you'll need a hub and cabling done.

Two $15 ethernet cards and a $5 crossover cable will suffice.

miguel

setting up win95 box as gateway for linux box

Post by (SPAMLES » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:38:13 GMT, J. Howard Benson

>Use your Linux box as a gateway for W95 systems. Set up an
>internal network with cheap 10b2 ethernet cards. Use private
>IP addresses on this network as described in RFC1918. Set up
>the Linux box for PPP and IP masquerading. Configure W95 to
>use the Linux machine as the default gateway. Establish the
>PPP link with Linux. Enjoy the pleasure of having multiple
>users access the Internet over a single phone line.

I understand the above concept and have been attempting to do just
that.  I have my Linux running and (finally!) got my kernel to
recognize my ethernet card (I have a Compaq Deskpro 4000 with built in
NetFlex/3).

The problem I have, is that when I try to Ping my Linux box from my
Win95, I get no response.  I've just started looking into the
hosts.allow file and think that since it is blank that might be the
problem.  Am I looking in the right place?  My addressing is setup as
follows:

linux-192.168.1.1 sub 255.255.255.0
win95-192.168.1.2 sub 255.255.255.0

Along the same lines, I have LeafNode configured and running on my
Linux box (was able to do the initial fetch of the newsgroup
descriptions from mindspring), but when I attempt to run a news client
(knews/gnus-xemacs/tin) (I have NNTPSERVER pointing to my machine) I
get "Connection Refused".  Does the hosts.allow file have to be setup
for that machine to access LeafNode running on the same machine?

Thanks for any pointers.

JEM
To reply via email, do the necessary fixes

on the address to remove anti-spamming stuff.
I know it's a pain, but so is spam.