ppp - connecting using ppp protocol

Post by Tom Woma » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

  before my provider stopped supporting slip i used dip with a call to slip.
Now
I'm trying to used ppp ... it isn't clear if i can use the same chat script
replacing
reference to slip with ppp, i'm dialing in to router issuing login,
  can I use minicom or any kind of serial connection and then issue pppd - do
I need
to have daemon running first and then issue ppp-on.

    thanks for any help !

Post by RHS Linux Us » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

:   before my provider stopped supporting slip i used dip with a call to slip.
: Now
: I'm trying to used ppp ... it isn't clear if i can use the same chat script
: replacing
: reference to slip with ppp.

Yes, you could use the same script replacing slip with ppp. Took me less
than 1 minute to convert.

1. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

I made a trick .. instead of using chat to connect PPP like was in the
books
(that for me doesn't work) I used dip (it's the one that is supposed to be
used with SLIP connections) .. I make a script for dip so it connects using
PPP, and everything goes fine till I connect... After I connect the host
where i'm connected is Okay and everything seems to be Okay. but when I do
I simple ping to my own IP (not localhost but my assigned fixed IP) it says
unable to reach host.. I think the hardest thing to setup in linux is PPP
:( .. geee...

I have the Slackware 3.0 stuff... and I feel like i'm a newbie.. :(

Is out there any better FAQs or How-TOs for the PPP connections ???

bye !

--
 _    ____ ____          _____________________________
| |  |    |  __|         Luis Aranguren Carvajal
| |  | || | |            http://www.ven.net/~pizzaman

|____|_||_|____|         _____________________________

2. Killing IRC

3. ppp: Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol?

4. mmap for files?

5. PPP- How to create/connect/attach ppp interface and channel

6. 2 Problems (NFS/GATED)

7. Connecting Win 95 PPP to Solaris 2.5 PPP

8. HELP: ARP: ARPing my own IP address

9. pppd: can't find file /etc/ppp/ppp-connect

10. HELP ppp server not connecting ppp to internet

11. User ppp and Netware Connect 2.0 ppp server?

12. Solaris PPP connecting to non-Solaris PPP

13. PPP problem. PPP connects constantly, not on demand.