Samba share appears as an IP address

Post by steve.. » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

My Samba share appears as an IP address in "Network Neighborhood". Is
there any way to assign a name address to it? my hosts and lmhosts file
list it as Linux_Server, but it is not apeparing as such. It is quite
frusterating.

- Steve

Samba share appears as an IP address

Post by Ted Pott » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

check your smb.conf file

server string = Servername

>My Samba share appears as an IP address in "Network Neighborhood". Is
>there any way to assign a name address to it? my hosts and lmhosts file
>list it as Linux_Server, but it is not apeparing as such. It is quite
>frusterating.

>- Steve

>---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

1. Samba share shows up as IP address ?

How do I change the name of my linux box as it appears in the Network
Neighbourhood on my windoze box ? The linux box keeps showing up as
though it's name is '23-22-120-118', which is its ip address when
connected to the roadrunner cable internet service. how do i change it
to something else? I've changed the HOSTNAME environment variable, but
it doesn't seem to help. the OS is Redhat 6.2. any tips appreciated.

2. How to script telnet

3. Changing IP address on Solaris 9 with multiple virtual IP addresses

4. Cannot grow streams msg header table

5. WANTED: pingmac <IP ADDR> which returns <MAC ADDRESS of IP ADDRESS>

6. red hat 6.0 not hangs on install

7. dynamic ip address - how to get to know my ip address?

8. CRASH story: Blade 100, Solaris 8 10/01

9. IP Masquerading with IP Address and Mac Address Restrictions

10. sharing single ip address

11. samba with dynamic ip addresses

12. How do I share one real IP address among several machines?

13. How to share one IP address with two servers (application server and web server)?