Stray execute permission on Samba and Win95

Stray execute permission on Samba and Win95

Post by Troy Jacobso » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I have samba 1.9.15p8, Redhat 3.0.3, and kernel 2.0.22.  When I copy or
create a file using the graphical interface if Windows 95, the
permissions on the file include a user execute bit. i.e. -rwxr--r--,
that is not wanted.

If I use a DOS window, and do a COPY FILEA FILEB, then the proper
permissions of -rw-r--r-- is set.

Is there something I can do to prevent this?  Is it more of a samba side
thing or Win95?

Troy

Post by Ian Camer » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I have samba 1.9.15p8, Redhat 3.0.3, and kernel 2.0.22.  When I copy or
>create a file using the graphical interface if Windows 95, the
>permissions on the file include a user execute bit. i.e. -rwxr--r--,
>that is not wanted.

>If I use a DOS window, and do a COPY FILEA FILEB, then the proper
>permissions of -rw-r--r-- is set.

>Is there something I can do to prevent this?  Is it more of a samba side
>thing or Win95?

Samba maps the DOS archive attribute to the execute bit.  It's an
inconsistancy with Windows 95.  The DOS copy command does not seem to set
the archive bit when you copy to a network drive, but Explorer does.

You can stop Samba from saving the status of the archive attribute in this
way, by specifying 'map archive = false' in the share configuration.

---

Cheers, Ian.

1. getting win95 shares on win95 machines to map with a login script with samba and win95

Howdy
This may be a win95 question
I have 2 win95 boxes logging into a samba "domain" and running login
scripts
I have the two machines both running login scripts and mapping drives
on the samba server no problem at all
but when u add shares that are on other win95 machines it always
prompts me for a password no matter how many times i log into them
it is driving me nuts
i have already deleted the password files on both 95 machines and
tryied it over it still prompts me for a password but only on the
win95 shares the ones on the samba server go thru no problem and no
prompting
if anyone knows how to do this it would be a great help
Jeff

2. net_device.iflink

3. 4.1 stray irq but 3.3 no stray irq

4. Where can I get Solaris binaries?

5. Is it possible to have execute permissions without read permissions?

6. SCO OpenServer Link Problem.

7. samba: win95->linux works, linux->win95 doesnt

8. gopher.1.02.linux-1.0.tar ! PROBLEM! Wrong version?

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. executing scripts without read permission

11. SCCS: checkout preserving execute permissions?

12. execute permissions for scripts in Linux vs. BSD

13. Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied