Multiple NICs. Possible? How?

Post by Edward J Kalen » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I was hoping to add a second ethernet adapter to my box since our
>mostly-ipx network isn't (and won't be) routing IP to a new segment.
>The kernel finds one of the cards (both are 3C5X9) and assigns it
>to eth0.  How do I create eth1?  I've handled the irq/ioport stuff.
>The first card was port 210, irq 5, and worked fine.  I added a card
>at port 220, irq 12, and with both cards in, it is the card assigned
>to eth0.

>Jim DeVries

I hope someone already solved this for you, but I see no followups so
I'm going to throw my $0.02 in, just in case.

You need to tell the kernel to recognize the extra NIC at boot time.
In my /etc/lilo.conf I have the line:

append = "ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=11,0x200,eth1"

This tells the kernel where to probe for the NICS and forces interface
names to specific cards to avoid naming surprises. Depending upon your
particular NIC, you may need to give more or less information. All I
needed was the interrupt and the base IO port.

If you can't get this to work by substituting your values, let me know
and I'll try to find the document where I found this solution. I did
all this years ago and can't remember where I found it.

1. Multiple NICs. Possible? How?

Greetings,

I was hoping to add a second ethernet adapter to my box since our
mostly-ipx network isn't (and won't be) routing IP to a new segment.
The kernel finds one of the cards (both are 3C5X9) and assigns it
to eth0.  How do I create eth1?  I've handled the irq/ioport stuff.
The first card was port 210, irq 5, and worked fine.  I added a card
at port 220, irq 12, and with both cards in, it is the card assigned
to eth0.

Thanks in Advance,

Jim DeVries

2. Want to build a portable fileserver to serve Win/MacOS - reasons

3. Binding services to a NIC in a dual NIC system possible?

4. rebuild Raid 1 on Redhat 7.3

5. multiple NICs, multiple IP addresses?

6. !!!Make Sendmail Daemon Send Emails To Internet!!!

7. 4.2 nic aliasing, multiple IPs, one nic does not work???

8. Openboot 4 for Ulta 5?

9. multiple IPs on multiple NICs

10. multiple nic, multiple gw

11. Multiple Hosts on Multiple NICS...Virtual Machines?

12. ISA NIC Problems w/ multiple PCI/ISA NIC combination

13. Solution: multiple Apache log files, multiple args to env=, multiple conditions to CustomLog directive