Telnet - chat(1U) like functionality wanted...

Telnet - chat(1U) like functionality wanted...

Post by Kevin Bento » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm looking for a program which logs onto a remote site, does it's thing
and gets back off, all using expect/send strings much like the chat
program in UUCP...  Is there a program which does this and allows me to
log the session?

Kevin

Unsolicited adverti*ts processing fee: $50 subject to change without notice

Post by Aaron Leona » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

|I'm looking for a program which logs onto a remote site, does it's thing
|and gets back off, all using expect/send strings much like the chat
|program in UUCP...  Is there a program which does this and allows me to
|log the session?
|
|Kevin
|

|Unsolicited adverti*ts processing fee: $50 subject to change without notice

C-Kermit does the job just fine.  FTP from watsun.columbia.edu
(or maybe something like http://www.veryComputer.com/ nowadays ..)
I don't know specificially that it's been ported to Linux, but I
would guess so.

Aaron

Post by Kevin Bento » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> > I'm looking for a program which logs onto a remote site, does it's thing
> > and gets back off, all using expect/send strings much like the chat
> > program in UUCP...  Is there a program which does this and allows me to
> > log the session?

> I am not sure what you mean by "does its thing"; that is, what you want
> it to do once you have logged in, and what kind of connection you want:
> kermit, ppp, or slip or some other communications package.

> I shall assume you wish to establish either a SLIP or PPP connection.
> For either of these you can use DIP.  For the PPP connection you can
> also use /usr/sbin/chat.  This script accompanies the pppd distribution.
> Both packages use the expect/send sequencing, but DIP uses its own
> scripting language and does not depend on the CHAT programme.

> DIP's programming language is also much richer than CHAT's, although it
> is poorly documented.  DIP is also very robust in the sense that it
> prepares the modem for use and leaves it in a sane state after exit.
> DIP has the "drawback" of requiring its loggin script to be in the
> current directory; at least I have not found a way around what some
> might consider to be an inconvenience.  I have both methods set up and I
> find myself defaulting to the DIP method since I always land in the
> directory where the DIP script lives.

No, actually, I'm not looking for that at all.  I'm looking for a
chat(1U) like program which establishes a telnet session, runs the chat
like script, then disconnects from the host.  For example: an automatic
script to download flight weather information off of an NWS/FAA site.

chat(1U) = /usr/sbin/chat

The assumption is that the Internet connection is already established.

Web:     http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> No, actually, I'm not looking for that at all.  I'm looking for a
> chat(1U) like program which establishes a telnet session, runs the chat
> like script, then disconnects from the host.

Take a look at 'expect'. That'll do what you want.

                Regards,

--
                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.

        IT Network Engineer,

        Lucent Technologies Nederland.
        Room: HVS BGS 16
        Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724

Telnet - chat(1U) like functionality wanted...

Post by Kevin Bento » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Kevin Benton writes:

> > No, actually, I'm not looking for that at all.  I'm looking for a
> > chat(1U) like program which establishes a telnet session, runs the chat
> > like script, then disconnects from the host.  For example: an automatic
> > script to download flight weather information off of an NWS/FAA site.

> Hi Kevin. I use diald to contact my ISP, running slirp, (if you are
> on the Internet, you don't have to do this.) My weather fetcher is:

>     alias weather='lynx -dump http://www.veryComputer.com/'

> which can be redirected to a local file, etc.

That's a cool idea, except lynx doesn't do straight telnet scripts.

Really, I'm looking for a chat program which does telnet protocol so I
can write scripts to poll data off of remote machines.  I would use SNMP
or Finger, however, I don't always have access to those methods.

Kevin

Web:     http://www.veryComputer.com/
Unsolicited adverti*ts processing fee: $50 subject to change without notice

Telnet - chat(1U) like functionality wanted...

Post by Brian Mitche » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>No, actually, I'm not looking for that at all.  I'm looking for a
>chat(1U) like program which establishes a telnet session, runs the chat
>like script, then disconnects from the host.  For example: an automatic
>script to download flight weather information off of an NWS/FAA site.

>chat(1U) = /usr/sbin/chat

>The assumption is that the Internet connection is already established.

Use expect.

Post by Kevin Bento » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >No, actually, I'm not looking for that at all.  I'm looking for a
> >chat(1U) like program which establishes a telnet session, runs the chat
> >like script, then disconnects from the host.  For example: an automatic
> >script to download flight weather information off of an NWS/FAA site.

> Have you looked at expect?  It is a powerful tool built on top of TCL/Tk
> that allows you to specify complex sequences of chat-like commands.
> We use it here to start up telnets to various network devices, then
> feed commands and look for results from the devices.  Works great.

Thanks Kevin.  Actually, I got it yesterday.  Thanks everyone for
pointing me to expect...  It looks like it'll answer my need!  :)

Kevin