redirecting localhost:6000 -> other:6000

Post by Juergen P. Meie » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I want to have all packets which come to my linux machine on port 6000
>(X) to go to port 6000 on another machine.

>The 'other' machine is connected directly to my linux machine, but the
>machine sending these packets is unable to reach 'other' directly.

>Does anybody know how I can do this? I thought there was a command
>'redir', but I can't find it.

What You need is called "Masquerading"
Just take a look at www.yahoo.com and search for "Masquerade" in computer
section.

You may also wish to take a look at:
http://ipmasq.home.ml.org/
For more info.

--
Juergen P. Meier

XEmacs is my Operating System, Linux my device driver.

Post by Wouter Lieftin » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

--------------A68D3EF14F5BD7B713DD19E0

> >I want to have all packets which come to my linux machine on port
> 6000
> >(X) to go to port 6000 on another machine.

> >The 'other' machine is connected directly to my linux machine, but
> the
> >machine sending these packets is unable to reach 'other' directly.

> >Does anybody know how I can do this? I thought there was a command
> >'redir', but I can't find it.

> What You need is called "Masquerading"
> Just take a look at www.yahoo.com and search for "Masquerade" in
> computer
> section.

> You may also wish to take a look at:
> http://ipmasq.home.ml.org/
> For more info.

> --
> Juergen P. Meier

> XEmacs is my Operating System, Linux my device driver.

 You could also try running a daemon on your host which listens to 6000
and sends everything
right through. Creating this daemon process shouldnt be difficult with
netpipes. See netpipes
man page, and hose and faucet.

Probably something like
faucet 6000 | hose otherhost 6000

(For two way communication, probably youll have to do this twice or so)

- Wouter

--------------A68D3EF14F5BD7B713DD19E0

<HTML>

<BR>>I want to have all packets which come to my linux machine on port
6000
<BR>>(X) to go to port 6000 on another machine.
<BR>>
<BR>>The 'other' machine is connected directly to my linux machine, but
the
<BR>>machine sending these packets is unable to reach 'other' directly.
<BR>>
<BR>>Does anybody know how I can do this? I thought there was a command
<BR>>'redir', but I can't find it.
<BR>>

<P>What You need is called "Masquerading"
<BR>Just take a look at www.yahoo.com and search for "Masquerade" in computer
<BR>section.

<P>You may also wish to take a look at:
<BR><A HREF="http://ipmasq.home.ml.org/">http://ipmasq.home.ml.org/</A>
<BR>For more info.

<P>--
<BR>Juergen P. Meier
<BR>______________________________________________________

<BR>XEmacs is my Operating System, Linux my device driver.</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;You could also try running a daemon on your host which listens to
6000 and sends everything
<BR>right through. Creating this daemon process shouldn&acute;t be difficult
with netpipes. See netpipes
<BR>man page, and hose and faucet.

<P>Probably something like
<BR>faucet 6000 | hose otherhost 6000

<P>(For two way communication, probably you&acute;ll have to do this twice
or so)

<P>- Wouter</HTML>

Post by Paul Russel » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> >I want to have all packets which come to my linux machine on port 6000
> >(X) to go to port 6000 on another machine.

> >The 'other' machine is connected directly to my linux machine, but the
> >machine sending these packets is unable to reach 'other' directly.

> What You need is called "Masquerading"
> Just take a look at www.yahoo.com and search for "Masquerade" in computer
> section.

No, I don't think so.  This is network address translation, and for
this case it is done best using a simple proxy, such as is available
in the fwtk (plug-gw).

Writing one of these is pretty trivial.

Hope this helps,
Paul.
--
 .sig lost in the mail

redirecting localhost:6000 -> other:6000

Post by wong man fa » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Or you can use a package called "redir",  which can redirect an incoming
session to another machane. You can find it in sunsite. It works fine for
me. Hope this help.
Regards
Wong

> > >I want to have all packets which come to my linux machine on port 6000
> > >(X) to go to port 6000 on another machine.

> > >The 'other' machine is connected directly to my linux machine, but the
> > >machine sending these packets is unable to reach 'other' directly.

> > What You need is called "Masquerading"
> > Just take a look at www.yahoo.com and search for "Masquerade" in
computer
> > section.

> No, I don't think so.  This is network address translation, and for
> this case it is done best using a simple proxy, such as is available
> in the fwtk (plug-gw).

> Writing one of these is pretty trivial.

> Hope this helps,
> Paul.
> --
>  .sig lost in the mail

1. mounting a fs on a 6000 server to a 6000 wrkst !!!!!! ! ! ! ! ! !

How do you mount a jfs file system onto a machine that also has jfs file
systems?  do I need special permissions for this since I am working on a
wrkstn and grabbing a fs from aserver?

I have been trying this...

mount -nX -v jfs -o rw / /mnt1

whereas "X" is the name of the node being mounted from (not too),
reading a jfs file system, the options are to both read/write, and the first
" / " represents the root dir. on the node kreher....to be replicated as
/mnt1 on the RS/6000 wrkstn.

It follows the man pages perfectly so it seems, but always fails.  I'm
hurtin here and have been for some time.  I have tried a few different
variations with this command with all sorts of different flags but the
outcome is the same.

Can you spare the knowledge?

Thanks
-j

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. how to break a ppp connection?

3. RS/6000 error msgs (Was: Re: RS/6000 survey - will post summary)

4. PPP -auto question + 64bit?

5. What is the significance of 6000 in RS/6000?

6. Cannot get dumb terminal to go.

7. FS: IBM RS/6000 Risc System/6000 SERVER POWERSTATION currently at $49.00

8. Help: Whats's the meaning of "Kernel: Possible SYN flood from host on Port 53. Sending Cookies"

9. Fonts for InfoExplorer on RS/6000 (was: Re: Font problems on RS/6000 running X11R5)

10. aix level numbers, rs/6000 and others

11. AIX System Admin/ RS-6000 <<>> Nationwide Opportunities

12. rt > risc/6000

13. SNA: RS/6000 <-> IBM mainframe